cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobreed
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with or without attachments

Had a phone call yesteday saying a problem had been found with the servers which has been fixed.  I was asked to test.  Guess what? - still the same problem.  Had a follow up phone call this morning and was told that the issue has been fixed for most users suffering this problem although they have agreed to refer the problem back as I am still having the same issues.  Other users - have you been sorted?  Am I now the only person suffering?

0 Ratings
Scorpion0x17
Contributor
Message 42 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with attachments

The issues described in this thread sound peculiarly similar to the problems I've been having with my Yahoo.co.uk email account, see http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Pulling-my-hair-out-regarding-Yahoo-email-and-or-BT/td-p... - which suggests it's a Yahoo problem.

OH, and guess what! I just tried checking my mail, to see if the issue has been resolved, and now I get:

"Unable to send or receive messages for the BTInternet.com (scott.hill2011) account.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR inactivity timeout
Server: 'mail.btinternet.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800420CD
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No"

and:

"Unable to send or receive messages for the BTInternet.com (scott.hill2011) account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'mail.btinternet.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F

as well as:

"Unable to send or receive messages for the Yahoo.co.uk (Scorpion0x17) account. The email server returned an error.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: -ERR inactivity timeout
Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC90

WOOHOO! It's now even more broken than it was! /sarcasm

WelshFlyer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 43 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with or without attachments

@bobreed wrote:

Had a phone call yesteday saying a problem had been found with the servers which has been fixed.  I was asked to test.  Guess what? - still the same problem.  Had a follow up phone call this morning and was told that the issue has been fixed for most users suffering this problem although they have agreed to refer the problem back as I am still having the same issues.  Other users - have you been sorted?  Am I now the only person suffering?

Just done a test with 3 x 2Meg JPEG files - problem is still there, same fault code (my server time-out is set to 10 minutes before anyone asks, and the whole download took about 70 seconds)   Come on Yahoo, do something, it 'ain't rocket science!!

0 Ratings
Scorpion0x17
Contributor
Message 44 of 138

Re: Windows Mail - Server Terminating Connection when downloading mail with attachments

Weirdly, when I got Windows Live Mail to check for mail again, the error on the BTInternet account didn't reappear, but the Yahoo account one did.

0 Ratings
alones
Contributor
Message 45 of 138

I have also has two phone calls from BT saying the problem has been fixed. But on testing I still have the same problem with the same error message Smiley Sad

Today I have had anothercall from BT saying the porblem has yet to be fixed.

Yes, again they appear to have no idea of what is going on.

0 Ratings
MAN
Beginner
Message 46 of 138

This problem is still occurring. I have spent all day onto the BT Technical 'No-Help' Desk and only just found this forum. I first reported this problem 2 weeks ago via email, but couldn't get anyone to call me back. Finally called them today. We went through hours of checking port, etc settings, despite the fact it couldn't be a problem with these as I only have the problem with large emails (>1MB) and small messages come through OK. They tried to get me to delete or move the large mails in webmail to 'solve' the problem, until I pointed out that this is at best a workaround, and not what I pay for. They were desperate to shift the blame - I also got some hilarious excuses:

1) Told me Microsoft are introducing a new service charging for email attachments which is causing the problems. I had to point out that my Outlook has not been changed in any way for years, so couldn't relate to a new MS product. I am not sure what MS would think about the blame being pointed at them!!!

2) I suggested it looked like a POP3 server issue but both the person on the help desk and his supervisor (when I escalated) tried to tell me it couldn't be that because I could view and receive my emails via webmail. I had to point out to them that webmail doesn't even use POP3!!! Eventually, they admitted that they didn't actually know anything about how email clients work. Unbelievable!!!

Finally, after many hours of toing and froing, I got them to admit that there is a server problem. The supervisor said they had only had a few calls about it over the last few days. Then I find this forum and discover it has been going on for ages - it doesn't sound like there is a quick fix. This clearly needs to be escalated somewhere, in or out of BT. Any ideas?

0 Ratings
reggie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 47 of 138

I phoned bt today as my email still keeps freezing in outlook after receiving attachments. I was on the phone for 30 minutes; poor line quality; lack of understanding of my explanation of the problem - I was taken through a complicated procedure of resetting the hub domain, no idea why, was left hanging- I hung up after the millionth rendition of greensleeves and was then rung back and given another number to ring by which time I had lost the will to live. I pay more for bt than I did with talktalk and wish I had stayed put. I should not have to be changing domains etc on my phone bill for a service that is not fit for purpose. I was told that yahoo mail could only cope with email attachments less than 8mb. What relevance is that to my issue today with a small document attachment? ANOTHER THING- why do we have to suffer pop up adverts on yahoo web mail? I was told, bcos yahoo pay bt "millions" for the facility - does this not infringe my privacy when I have specifically requested not to have ads? Perhaps outlook doesn't work in order that we have to go to web mail and suffer this rubbish
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 48 of 138

Use Thunderbird and IMAP server instead  see Thunderbird setup for BT Yahoo e-mail

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forumhelp (Private website) Lots of additional information and help.
You will need to be connected to your home BT Broadband connection to view it, or any links to it that I post on this forum.

0 Ratings
reggie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 49 of 138

I have used these b4 on a previous account-didn't like thunderbird v much, i feel comfortable with outlook format, for all its sins-also, not an IT guru, just want to get on with my work! And don't think we should have to be doing all this for a service we are paying for. However, do appreciate your suggestion. Do u know by chance why all my emails go to trash in yahoo?
0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 50 of 138

@reggie wrote:
I have used these b4 on a previous account-didn't like thunderbird v much, i feel comfortable with outlook format, for all its sins-also, not an IT guru, just want to get on with my work! And don't think we should have to be doing all this for a service we are paying for. However, do appreciate your suggestion. Do u know by chance why all my emails go to trash in yahoo?

They go into trash because you have not got the flag set in the advanced section of your account properties to leave a copy of the emails on the server after Outlook has downloaded them to your machine. They are therefore deleted and put in the trash folder.

0 Ratings