cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NandoDave
Message 1 of 5

Yahoo Third Party Data Sharing

Just had to go sign up to new terms, if I click 'manage options' instead of the straight 'ok' button, after clicking around a few levels I managed to uncover a default opt-in to sharing my details with 455 different companies. I had to opt-out each and every one of them because the 'deselect all' option was conveniently not working.

I'd copy and paste the list but its huge.

Surely an auto-opt in to sharing details like this with 455 companies can't be leagel? It certainly exposes the statement from BT as somewhat of a lie, because most people will not drill down three of four levels in the settings to expose this list as they'll just want quick access to their webmail interface because they're on the move, etc.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Yahoo Third Party Data Sharing

The de-select all option worked for me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

@NandoDavewrote:

Just had to go sign up to new terms, if I click 'manage options' instead of the straight 'ok' button, after clicking around a few levels I managed to uncover a default opt-in to sharing my details with 455 different companies. I had to opt-out each and every one of them because the 'deselect all' option was conveniently not working.

I'd copy and paste the list but its huge.

Surely an auto-opt in to sharing details like this with 455 companies can't be leagel? It certainly exposes the statement from BT as somewhat of a lie, because most people will not drill down three of four levels in the settings to expose this list as they'll just want quick access to their webmail interface because they're on the move, etc.

Hi, welcome to the forums.

The deselect all button also worked for me in both places.

Your post has got me thinking too about a couple of issues.

Yahoo/Oath are acting as a 3rd party supplier for a UK company, BT - and therefore must abide by the new GDPR laws brought in today.

The GDPR expressly forbids opt in to be prechecked.

To me this needs to be addressed ASAP, because BT could be in trouble - as well as Oath.

Also, because many users do not use webmail - the inference is that those people still on BTYahoo may have their information processed by the ways the webmail Oath confirmation boxes imply. The only way that may not apply is because you are not using Yahoo/Oath services by using an app/client.

0 Ratings
SJG1
Message 4 of 5

I have also come across this problem when trying to access my emails tonight.

Are we supposed to just agree to these cookies being placed?

Why hasn't BT issued any advice or warnings about this?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

You don't get cookies on a mail client

0 Ratings