cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Gavarnos
Beginner
Message 1 of 137

Yahoo email hack - are BT Yahoo accounts affected?

BT

With this in the news:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2471713/yahoo-is-finally-expected-to-go-public-on-that-200-...

Could you please confirm either way whether BT Yahoo email accounts are affected by this please?

Thanks

0 Ratings
136 REPLIES 136
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 137

Re: Yahoo email hack - are BT Yahoo accounts affected?

If Yahoo has been hacked it is entirely possible/probable that the BTYahoo email accounts would be involved because all BTYahoo is is a BT badged Yahoo account.

If in doubt, check that there are no forwarding addresses set up on the account and change the password. 

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 137

@Gavarnos wrote:

BT

With this in the news:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2471713/yahoo-is-finally-expected-to-go-public-on-that-200-...

Could you please confirm either way whether BT Yahoo email accounts are affected by this please?

Thanks

The situation appears to be worse than stated in the link above:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/yahoo-says-least-500-million-accounts-hacked-2014-184049462--finance.html

1. Can we please have an official statement from BT through the moderators.

2. Can they please update this also:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39411/~/bt-yahoo-mail-compromised-accounts

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 137

@vofsanity2 wrote:

1. Can we please have an official statement from BT through the moderators.

2. Can they please update this also:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39411/~/bt-yahoo-mail-compromised-accounts

pig2.GIF

0 Ratings
Preacher
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 137

Whatever happened to the migration away from Yahoo to BT Mail.......
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 137

Hi Everyone,

BT is currently investigating the Yahoo data breach. As a precaution for the minority of our customers who use Yahoo mail, we are advising those who haven't changed their passwords post-December 2014 to change them.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Gavarnos
Beginner
Message 7 of 137

I think we need a bit more than an announcement from BT from just the moderators on here frankly.  Though BT arent the only large ISP affected by this.

0 Ratings
John1952
Contributor
Message 8 of 137

Well this morning after reading about this I thought that I would check with BT because although I use outlook whenever I look onto BTs webmail myself I continue to notice that its says at the top left hand side 'BT Yahoo! mail.'

Question, how come? I thought we were told a few years back BT were moving away from Yahoo.

So I phone 0800800150 and say that I want to speak to someone about email.

I then get a recorded message telling me that due to security issues with Yahoo I need to change my password.

Interesting?

So I then speak to BT India....a woman asks me all the usual 'security information' and then when I ask her about the security issues with Yahoo and tell her that BT have an automated message she admits that its news to her but adds that I shouldn't worry about it because BT doesn't use Yahoo.....

I then ask if that's the case why the warning message?

She then asks me where I got the email from.

What email I reply.

The email telling me about the security issue.

No says I its a recorded message warning given out over the telephone when I rang.

Puzzled silence....

So then ask to be put through to someone who can help.

I finally get through to a man who takes me through the exact same sequence, in that he has no knowledge of this and tellls me not to worry because they don't use Yahoo......

I put the phone down on him.

So please can someone from BT who can understand plain English give me a definitive answer?

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Gavarnos
Beginner
Message 9 of 137

Paddy you beat BT Care's tweet confirming your advice by a good margin. Think BT should mass mail every single BT Yahoo account immediately that's affected frankly.
0 Ratings
John1952
Contributor
Message 10 of 137

Paddy

Thanks for this but please can you explain to me why after some years back getting emails from BT telling me that I'm being moved away from Yahoo, it seems that we're still with them?

This is what people want to know please.

John