cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WhiteBull
Contributor
Message 41 of 137

Re: Yahoo email hack - are BT Yahoo accounts affected?

Yes I understand it's yahoo not BT thats been compromised but what I'm trying to find out is whether I'm one of those who has a yahoo address as I switched to Bt in April 2014?  Is there a simple way of finding out?  I may well have been given a yahoo account when I first joined but have never used it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 42 of 137

But even if you have one, it won't matter as you are not using it. It won't be linked to anything else. If you haven't used it in 2 years it will have been deleted anyway.

0 Ratings
mrtilly
Contributor
Message 43 of 137

My Bt checker also says BT mail yet it shows as BT Yahoo mail on my email page!  I can still log in via Yahoo so I must be on BT yahoo. It's about time BT sored this out.

0 Ratings
WhiteBull
Contributor
Message 44 of 137

OK, thanks liquorice, be nice to know how to find out whether I have a yahoo account and change the details but I I see your point with regards to its lack use.

Judging by the growing rumbles of discontent throughout the day in my office from BT (and Sky to be fair) customers I think both companies need to realise clear statements and email individuals as to whether or not they may have been impacted by the yahoo hack as most of us are quite confused.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 45 of 137

The safest option is if you have a xxxx@btinternet.com email address whether via BTYahoo or Via BTMail, change all passwords and security details, doesn't matter if you are impacted or not. Its good practice to change those details on a regular basis anyway.

0 Ratings
WhiteBull
Contributor
Message 46 of 137

...as long as you know whether you have a yahoo account or not or at least how to find this out.  Some of us IT numpties are quite clueless!

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Highlighted
SteveD3
Contributor
Message 47 of 137

The Daily Mail is currently reporting that customers of BT should be able to claim compensation and they are looking for customers who have been failed by BT, So form a queue.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 48 of 137

@gg30340 wrote:

BTYahoo email is not linked to your BTID in that you can not manage your BTYahoo email from your MyBT but if you have used the same user name and password you would be well advised to change it.

This is not correct.  

If you have BT Yahoo email accounts it appears that you now have to manually link them to your BTID.

You can do this after you have logged in to your BT ID and clicked on the Manage BT Yahoo Email in your extras.

You can then change your password.

I have not seen any notification of this.

I suspect this change may be the cause of the mail checker saying my emails are BTMail but this has also changed.

See

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Mail-checker-reporting-on-BTMail-when-on-BT-Yahoo-mail/m-p/1662410...

0 Ratings
Message 49 of 137

This morning, we shared that on Thursday 22nd September, Yahoo issued a press release to say that some of their email accounts may have been compromised in late 2014.  We do not yet know how BT are affected, however, as a precaution, it’s always good practice to update details such as passwords and security questions and would recommend you do so.  You can change your password here: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47071

Yahoo does not have any credit card or bank account data for BT customers.  If any customers are affected we will contact them directly. If you are concerned about fraud or identity theft please see our advice at www.bt.com/scams

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 50 of 137

@vofsanity2 wrote:

@gg30340 wrote:

BTYahoo email is not linked to your BTID in that you can not manage your BTYahoo email from your MyBT but if you have used the same user name and password you would be well advised to change it.

This is not correct.  

If you have BT Yahoo email accounts it appears that you now have to manually link them to your BTID.

You can do this after you have logged in to your BT ID and clicked on the Manage BT Yahoo Email in your extras.

You can then change your password.

I have not seen any notification of this.

I suspect this change may be the cause of the mail checker saying my emails are BTMail but this has also changed.

See

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Mail-checker-reporting-on-BTMail-when-on-BT-Yahoo-mail/m-p/1662410...

If that is correct  it is a very new change. This is a recent thread where the moderators state that BTYahoo can not be managed from MyBT

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/No-quot-manage-email-quot-button-on-bt-mail/td-p/1665184

0 Ratings