cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrtilly
Contributor
Message 71 of 133

Re: Yahoo email hack - are BT Yahoo accounts affected?

I contacted Bt about the hack and when I would get moved to BT Mail  they were very fast to reply:- 

Thank you for getting in touch, the Yahoo case is still fluid so currently its being looked into by Yahoo and relevant agencies in the US but may I please direct you here www.bt.com/help/yahoo which is to help with the issue and it has important info attached. The information on the link is Yahoo's advice to all customers so if to haven't already please change your password, as I mentioned its still fluid so that's all we have on the issue currently but if further updates become available BT will let all yahoo email customers know.

In regards moving to BT Mail we have no details on that just yet but please see here https://is.gd/U56zTJ for details, when your's is due to be moved the BT Mail team will contact you to let you know and they are a ringfenced team so only they will have the details for privacy reasons, sorry I can't be more concrete on this point but they will let you know as soon as possible, take care.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 72 of 133

Nobody has been migrated to BTMail for about 2 years now.

0 Ratings
vhdsl_user
Contributor
Message 73 of 133

BT Yahoo Email - Recent Security Announcement

Hello,

Recently in press/TV it has been announced that Yahoo had a major security breach in 2014. Apparrently the breach includes customers of BT Yahoo email.

I was transferred over to BTMail in about September 2014 but I was using BTYahoo email up to that point. The security recommendation is that anyone who was using BTYahoo email in 2014 should now change their password. But as I no longer use BTYahoo email I can't see that is feasible for me. Could BT please clarify the security recommendation eg for existing BTYahoo users they must clearly change their password - but what about former users of BTYahoo email who are now using BTMail - is there anything that they could/should do ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 74 of 133

Re: BT Yahoo Email - Recent Security Announcement

Just change your password and security details anyway.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 75 of 133

0 Ratings
COMPANY-PENSIONER
Aspiring Expert
Message 76 of 133

Morning All !

In regard to:-
https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Yahoo-email-hack-are-BT-Yahoo-accounts-affected/td-p/1666848
Nobody will read 8-pages of 'info'. The post has become far too bulky. A bit like a 'CV', nobody ever reads more than the 1st page.

Most Informative:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0480cfj (1st 8-minutes)

http://www.infoworld.com/article/3123784/security/heres-what-you-should-know-and-do-about-the-yahoo-...

If you're genuinely concerned, the following is worth actioning.

1. Change your password.
  2. Address your 'security questions' across all your required 'log in'. If there's any duplicates, consider changing the info to a unique style.
    NB. 'mothers maiden name' can be 'Donald Duck', the machine doesn't know.
  3. Check your email 'forwarding facility', to see if there's any 'unknown entries'.

Bear in mind. The 'hack' was in 2014. You'll probably have had an inkling by now, that all is not well.

Best regards. COMPANY-PENSIONER [ Nil illegitimi carborundum ]. Man Wink

AKA ¦ https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/A-Reported-Security-Breach-at-YAHOO/m-p/1667821#M46820

0 Ratings
Message 77 of 133

@licquorice wrote:

It would be interesting if any contributor still on BTYahoo could confirm which of the 2 variants of screenshot they are presented with when logging in to MyBT and navigating to the extras page.

I am on BTYahoo (still waiting after having been told I was being migrated Smiley Very Happy )

and get this one, which links to that list of all the addresses.

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 09.24.41.png

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 78 of 133

Company-Pensioner

If the thread is " far to bulky" why add to it with a further post with information that has already been given in the thread!!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 79 of 133

@FloFosterJenkins wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

It would be interesting if any contributor still on BTYahoo could confirm which of the 2 variants of screenshot they are presented with when logging in to MyBT and navigating to the extras page.

I am on BTYahoo (still waiting after having been told I was being migrated Smiley Very Happy )

and get this one, which links to that list of all the addresses.

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 09.24.41.png

Thanks Flo, I'm totally confused now. Is your BTID the same as your primary email address or different?

Edit:  Further thought, did you have a MyBT login before the concept of the BTID?

0 Ratings
Winecooler
Aspiring Contributor
Message 80 of 133

There was a Daily Telegraph story in 2013 listing concerns about Yahoo security, and as others have pointed out, in the same year BT strongly indicated that they were moving away from Yahoo during that year. Given those concerns three years ago, I struggle to understand why BT are dragging their feet over the issue. One would assume they are a big enough organisation not to need a third party email service provider. I very much hope that the current issue will galvanise BT into ditching a compromised provider. If the migration from Yahoo could have been easily achieved in 2013 then why wasn't it?

0 Ratings