cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 11 of 137

Re: Yahoo email hack - are BT Yahoo accounts affected?

@PaddyB wrote:

Hi Everyone,

BT is currently investigating the Yahoo data breach. As a precaution for the minority ( ????)  of our customers who use Yahoo mail, we are advising those who haven't changed their passwords post-December 2014 to change them.

Thanks

PaddyB

From the Yahoo statement: 

"While the breach comprised mostly low-value ( ??????) information, it did include security questions and answers created by users themselves. That data could make users vulnerable if they use the same answers on other sites."

If this is the case just changing the password is inadequate. The (????) is my insertion questioning the adjectives.

0 Ratings
Addy
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 137

How do I know exactly which email service I'm on. Logging in to mybt shows I'm on Yahoo Mail. However the BT email service checker tells me all my email addresses are on BT Mail. Which is correct?

0 Ratings
Preacher
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 137

Asked the BT Hell-desk that question a few months ago when noticing the same thing.

They told me the checker was wrong and the MyBT correct, so still on BT Yahoo.

0 Ratings
John1952
Contributor
Message 14 of 137

Paddy

Your comment "Asked the BT Hell-desk...."  is so apt bearing in mind BT India.

Had to smile.

Thanks.

John

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 137

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 16 of 137

@John1952

Some BT Consumer Customers will still have their email accounts hosted on the BT Yahoo! platform. BT Consumer started migrating email accounts over to another system a few years back, however this was put on hold. Therefore some accounts are on the BTMail platform and some are still on the BT Yahoo! platform.

I'm assuming that if you are the BTYahoo! platform then when logging onto your emails via webmail then the Yahoo logo or title will be displayed on the page.

If you think your BT Yahoo email account has been compromised or you haven't changed your password since 2014 then please go to http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39411/c/7339 and follow the steps.

The issue with sending out mass emails to users on events like this, is that there may also be an influx of suspicious/fake email pretending to be from BT saying their account has been compromised. It may also take time to send out all the emails.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
John1952
Contributor
Message 17 of 137

Guru.

Ok, thanks but why was it put on hold please tell us.

BT contact us and tell us that 'in the next few months we're moving you' and then don't. But nobody tells us why. If only BT were a communications company I suppose it would be so much easier....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 137

Nobody knows why it was put on hold and BT have refused to comment.

0 Ratings
John1952
Contributor
Message 19 of 137

Ok passwords changed but to do so I have to go through security and they ask me date or birth, a security question etc, how do we know these haven't been compromised either.

For goodness sake BT, buck up and answer these questions.

John

0 Ratings
John1952
Contributor
Message 20 of 137

PaddyB

I have altered my passwords but to do so I am asked simple security questions, how do we know these haven't been compromised as well.

Secondly, would someone like to tell BT India as well because having just spoken to a friend he was also told by your experts in India that all email accounts had been transferred when they clearly haven't. Why don't you sack this lot because no help would be better than wrong information....

No doubt you'll decline to repsond....

0 Ratings