cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John1952
Contributor
Message 21 of 137

Re: Yahoo email hack - are BT Yahoo accounts affected?

Headlines in a national newspaper...

Yahoo’s admission that the personal data of half a billion users has been stolen by “state-sponsored” hackers leaves pressing questions unanswered, according to security researchers.

Details, including names, email addresses, phone numbers and security questions were taken from the company’s network in late 2014. Passwords were also taken, but in a “hashed” form, which prevents them from being immediately re-used, and the company believes that financial information held with it remains safe.

If this is so what the point of changing passwords?

Surely we should change the other information as well?

ANSWERS PLEASE????????????????????????????????????

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 137

@John1952 wrote:

If this is so what the point of changing passwords?

Surely we should change the other information as well?

ANSWERS PLEASE????????????????????????????????????

Then just do so, why do you need to be told to do it

0 Ratings
John1952
Contributor
Message 23 of 137

I have, I'm just trying to be informative and helpful to others, try it yourself you might find it useful in life!

0 Ratings
ROWBOTG2
Contributor
Message 24 of 137

Hi ,

Confused non techie here , help please.

When I go on BT's help page where it asks you to enter your mail address to verify if you are on BT Mail or BT Yahoo Mail , mine clearly comes back BT Mail.

However when I log in via I get a Yahoo link as below which suggests its Yahoo mail :-

yhttps://uk-mg42.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.partner=bt-1&.rand=19kdb02ddc8an

Anyone know which will be correct please ?

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 25 of 137

@John1952 wrote:

I have, I'm just trying to be informative and helpful to others, try it yourself you might find it useful in life!

Everyone needs to change their password AND security questions/answers.

The released detail implies that these security items were also stolen. There is information that says these security details have in fact been deleted, but this might be for certain accounts (e.g. vanilla Yahoo accounts).

If the security details are missing, then anyone forgetting their password might have issues ...

What needs to be explained is how this happened, unlike the hack 3 years ago when no specific feedback was provided.

Note that anyone on BTMail are also not specifically safe, since migration was suspended 2 years ago with accounts previously on BTYahoo - probably during the hack phase.

0 Ratings
John1952
Contributor
Message 26 of 137

Andy

Brilliant, thank you, this is exactly the helpful and simple information that we all need. So far it's been 'BT don't use Yahoo anymore' from 0800800150 BT India. On here it's been change your passwords. But reading what is being said generally and in the media it seems theres more to it.

Thank you for being helpful.

Perhaps you could ask others to refrain from being rude to those who are simply asking for clarification for the benefit of all of us.

Cheers.

John

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 137

What is the panic! The hack happened two years ago. If your account was one of the compromised accounts, the details that were taken have been "in the wild" for two years and have been available by the hackers during that time so there is no need to act as though something dreadful will now suddenly happen to you or your account. 

Leaving aside the question of when they knew and what Yahoo or BT should do or have done about the hack you should follow the advice given and change your password and any security questions, which you should have been doing every so often in any event, and if you have used the same username/ password across various accounts etc regardless of what the accounts are, you should change them.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 137

@ROWBOTG2 wrote:

Hi ,

Confused non techie here , help please.

When I go on BT's help page where it asks you to enter your mail address to verify if you are on BT Mail or BT Yahoo Mail , mine clearly comes back BT Mail.

However when I log in via I get a Yahoo link as below which suggests its Yahoo mail :-

yhttps://uk-mg42.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.partner=bt-1&.rand=19kdb02ddc8an

Anyone know which will be correct please ?

Thanks in advance

The BT email checker appears to be faulty. It has been reported and BT are suposed to be working on a fix.

Mean while, if you log onto your email account via webmail (using a browser) and if it shows "Yahoo" anywhere on the BT logo it means you are on the BTYahoo. If "Yahoo" is not shown anywhere it means you are on the BTMail system.

0 Ratings
ROWBOTG2
Contributor
Message 29 of 137

Thanks ,

Looks like Im on Yahoo mail and was never migrated .

Presume if I change my password I have to change the BT ID as they are currently the same/linked ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 30 of 137

BTYahoo email is not linked to your BTID in that you can not manage your BTYahoo email from your MyBT but if you have used the same user name and password you would be well advised to change it.

0 Ratings