cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 31 of 137

Re: Yahoo email hack - are BT Yahoo accounts affected?

May I specifically remind those users that have since been migrated to BT Mail that they should also change their PASSWORD/CONTACT details(if they haven't already done so), simply because the BT Yahoo details were tranferred to their new BT Mail account(s).

Any leaked Passwords/Details will therefore still be relevant to BT Mail! ;( 

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
LeeTelfer
Beginner
Message 32 of 137

Hi there

trying to change my password without much luck.

I change the password, try to login and it says not recognised.

Then tells me im locked out for 15mins or to change password

Been going round in circles.

Anyone help?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 137

@John1952 wrote:

I have, I'm just trying to be informative and helpful to others, try it yourself you might find it useful in life!

Not entirely sure how screaming

ANSWERS PLEASE????????????????????????????????????

is particularly informative and helpful, but hey ho.

0 Ratings
John1952
Contributor
Message 34 of 137

Yes me too. I found myself locked out for 'too many attempts' yet it was only my first attempt. Hey ho, it doesn't get any better does it?

0 Ratings
WhiteBull
Contributor
Message 35 of 137

Can anyone explain to a complete non-techie what the hell is going on please?  There's an article in the Guardian today suggesting lots of us who started with bt on or before 2014 will have been compromised, but even that is confusing to a non techie.

I'm completely confused as to which passwords I need to change?  When I log into my BT account it uses a hotmail address I gave them and a password - is this the password I have to change?  I've no memory of a yahoo account, although when logged on there is a tab asking for me to log onto my BT yahoo?  I've no idea what my username or password is for this as I've never used it.

So, which passwords do you mean when you say change your passwords????  I've already changed my bt login (which uses the hotmail address) but have no idea how to change my yahoo login as I don't know my username?  Is it this unwanted yahoo account I have tyo change or just my normal bt login password?

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
John1952
Contributor
Message 36 of 137

My friend when dealing with those who are deaf to the needs of others one unfortunately needs to shout. Regretfully though even that doesn't work with those determined not to hear...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 137

Its all the shouting that makes people deaf Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 137

@WhiteBull wrote:

Can anyone explain to a complete non-techie what the hell is going on please?  There's an article in the Guardian today suggesting lots of us who started with bt on or before 2014 will have been compromised, but even that is confusing to a non techie.

I'm completely confused as to which passwords I need to change?  When I log into my BT account it uses a hotmail address I gave them and a password - is this the password I have to change?  I've no memory of a yahoo account, although when logged on there is a tab asking for me to log onto my BT yahoo?  I've no idea what my username or password is for this as I've never used it.

So, which passwords do you mean when you say change your passwords????  I've already changed my bt login (which uses the hotmail address) but have no idea how to change my yahoo login as I don't know my username?  Is it this unwanted yahoo account I have tyo change or just my normal bt login password?

Thanks for your help.

The only passwords and details that need to be changed are those associated with a xxxx@btinternet.com email address. If you haven't got one and use another email address to access your BT accounts there is no problem.

0 Ratings
WhiteBull
Contributor
Message 39 of 137

Thank liquorice.  I still don't know whether I have a BT yahoo account though.  My username when I log onto my bt account on the bt internet login page is my hotmail account i.e. xxxx.xxxx@hotmail.com.  This gives me access to my online bill etc. All my E-mails from BT come to this hotmail account.  However, when I log onto BT this way there is a tab at the top of the page asking whether I want to log onto my yahoo account?  It's not something I've ever used.

Are you saying only those whose username is xxxxx@btinternet.com and receive their electronic bills to this account have issues?  This is where I'm confused - i.e. my username is a hotmail account.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 137

Yes, its not the BT systems per se that have been hacked, it is Yahoo email addresses. Many of us still have xxx@btinternet.com addresses that are adminstered by Yahoo and are linked to BT accounts. If you are not aware of having a xxx@btinternet.com address there will be no problem.

Previously, customers always had to have a BT email address but in recent times this has not been a requirement.

0 Ratings