cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 81 of 133

Re: Yahoo email hack - are BT Yahoo accounts affected?

Winecooler,

Yahoo was hacked in 2013 and it was subject to much discussion on this forum. If you are interested you should do an Internet search on "Yahoo hack 2013" for more details.

BT was moving away from Yahoo to another provider and the migration started in 2014. If I remember correctly the migration was taking place by moving batches of 50,000 users at a time.

A substantial number of customers were migrated however while the migration was taking place there were some problems encountered which resulted in the migration being placed on hold.

No reason was given out by BT about what the problems were or when/if the migration would resume. That is still the position today.

"If the migration from Yahoo could have been easily achieved in 2013"  I am pretty sure that BT would have done it!

It should be noted that if you became a BT customer in or since 2014 you will not be on the BTYahoo mail system. You will have started and still be on the BTMail email system which has nothing to do with Yahoo

0 Ratings
Winecooler
Aspiring Contributor
Message 82 of 133

Unfortunately I am still  a BT Yahoo customer, who has changed both password and security question, and I did Google as suggested. One result found was the DT article referred to in the earlier post. The unanswered question remains as to why BT did not continue the change from Yahoo three years ago.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 83 of 133

@Winecooler wrote:

The unanswered question remains as to why BT did not continue the change from Yahoo three years ago.

Indeed, but the question has been asked on countless occasions with no reply forthcoming from BT.

0 Ratings
gregprog
Beginner
Message 84 of 133

Beware: BT has put up information saying that if you are still on the Yahoo service then you should change your password and a utility page that accepts your (or any?) BT email address and tells you whether it is on the BT or Yahoo service.

That looks great - well better late than never, anyway. BUT it claims my email addresses are on the BT service when all the other evidence says that they are still with Yahoo. (For example, when I use the browser interface to see emails, the URL is from a yahoo.com domain and my disposable email addresses are still working - BT said they would disappear when the changeover happened).

So watch out - whatever BT's helpful utility tells you it's probably best to assume you are still on the Yahoo service and to chnage your password.

By the way, it may seem miles too late since your data was stolen years ago, but it appears that it has only recently been offered for sale. Purchasers are likely to use it to attempt various frauds and impersonations. So changing your password has a chance of making you safer and practically no chance of increasing your risk. You should also go into your account information page and change your security question and answer. The hackers are much more likely to have this than the password because Yahoo reportedly did not secure it. If other sites use the same security question then consider changing it there too. 

0 Ratings
ChristopherPovey
Aspiring Expert
Message 85 of 133

Is there an easy way to change the passwords on three family accounts without going through the BT ID main account?

I login into the email accounts separately online (web interface) but there is no change password option which is a bit pants!

Chris.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 86 of 133

Click the cogwheel in top right corner and select account info

0 Ratings
Winecooler
Aspiring Contributor
Message 87 of 133

There is a password change link on page 6 of this sequence, which I used, and was posted by Ectophile.

0 Ratings
ChristopherPovey
Aspiring Expert
Message 88 of 133

@Winecooler wrote:

There is a password change link on page 6 of this sequence, which I used, and was posted by Ectophile.

Okay, the answer is no then. I don't have a cog on the Email login page and the link is the reset for the password via the main account holder's account. I guess I will just have to remember the answer to the flaming security question then!!! Talk about making it hard work! Smiley Frustrated

Chris.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 89 of 133

If you have using the basic view for webmail, just click on account info go button. Its not on the login page, its when you have logged in to webmail.

0 Ratings
ChristopherPovey
Aspiring Expert
Message 90 of 133

@licquorice wrote:

If you have using the basic view for webmail, just click on account info go button. Its not on the login page, its when you have logged in to webmail.

I cannot see a Basic View option. I am on BT Mail not Yahoo if that makes any difference. I have logged into my WebMail page and can see Settings button, but it only has a link to "To manage your email address – Visit My BT >". Which wants to reset the password via the main account.

Help! 🙂

Chris.
0 Ratings