cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jellicle
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Yahoo says it's moving me to Basic Mail.

When I want to view my BT webmail I use IE10 (fully updated). I  have received an email in my BT account which says:

Starting January 31st, 2019, the classic version of Yahoo Mail that you’re using on your computer will no longer be available. To ensure continued access to your Yahoo Mail account, you will be automatically upgraded to the latest version of Yahoo Mail or Basic Mail, depending on the compatibility of your computer’s web browser.

1. Is this genuine? I suspect it is because Yahoo's help pages say that IE is no longer a supported browser.

2. What is Basic Mail? Is it a Bad Thing?

3. I have Chrome as well as IE on my computer. If I give in and start using Chrome to access my webmail, will I then see what they tell me is the wonderful new look of BT Yahoo and not be regraded to Basic?  All I want to do is check my webmail to see what is in the spam folder. I use Outlook and my iPhone / iPad for reading and sending emails.

4. Is this exercise likely to lose emails stored on the server?

Thank you for any insights.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yahoo says it's moving me to Basic Mail.

Yahoo and BT are in the process of changing the look of their email web page so it is probably a genuine email but to be safe DO NOT click on any links within the email.

If it asks you to verify your account by clicking on a link it is all most certainly a scam so don't click the links.

When the genuine change takes place you will still have the same folders etc and not lose any emails.

In my opinion Chrome is a superior browser to IE so I would use that.

If you get any further emails regarding this DO NOT click on any links within the email especially if it asks you to verify your email address and password.

You will notice no difference when you use Outlook.

0 Ratings
Jellicle
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Thank you  for your prompt reply.

You're right to alert readers about links. I am careful - mousehover showed the links in the email were to yahoo.com. Nevertheless I found my own way to look on yahoo.com's own page to check the browsers. I suppose IE is my default through inertia, but I do use Chrome for some browsing.

What is Basic Mail, do you know?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

It is exactly the same as you are presently on there is no change to the actual email service, all that is different is the user interface in the web page. ie the basic mail web page looks basic and the "new" user interface looks in some peoples eyes more modern. It is all a matter of taste.

As I said, if you primarily use Outlook to access your email you will see absolutely no change what so ever.

0 Ratings