Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike22
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Yahoo to BT Mail very frustrating

Go to solution

Hi everyone.  This migration of email addresses from BT Yahoo to BT Mail is giving me a mega headache.  I have a btinternet address as my main account, with two sub accounts, one (A) used by my wife and another (B) that I use for online shopping etc.   For some reason that I cannot understand, the two sub accounts have been migrated to BT Mail, but my main account is still coming through BT Yahoo.  To further complicate things, the sub account (B) can only be accessed by signing in separately using its own password, whereas before the change I could access it as a drop-down option after signing in to my main account.  (B) is still there with the main account but has not been updated since it was migrated with the other sub account (A).

I hope I have explained this as clearly as possible, but I am not a tech wizard and I cannot see why this has happened. It cannot be connected with the laptop I am using (a Microsoft Surface Book) as the situation was the same using an Asus in a different country last week.   On my mobile phone (a Samsung Galaxy S9) I have been using the pre-loaded Samsung email app ever since the warning from BT that the Yahoo app was no longer supported, and I am able to see and access my email sub account with my main account perfectly well.  It is only when trying to access email through the bt.com web page on a laptop that the problem shows itself.

I realise that BT is still in the process of moving millions of email addresses from Yahoo to BTMail (although it seems to have taken an unbelievable six years since the changes were announced!) but surely sub accounts would not be moved before the main account they are attached to?  If anybody out there can offer an explanation and a solution I'd love to hear from you.  Thanks.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yahoo to BT Mail very frustrating

Go to solution

@Mike22 wrote:

Hi everyone.  This migration of email addresses from BT Yahoo to BT Mail is giving me a mega headache.  I have a btinternet address as my main account, with two sub accounts, one (A) used by my wife and another (B) that I use for online shopping etc.   For some reason that I cannot understand, the two sub accounts have been migrated to BT Mail, but my main account is still coming through BT Yahoo.  To further complicate things, the sub account (B) can only be accessed by signing in separately using its own password, whereas before the change I could access it as a drop-down option after signing in to my main account.  (B) is still there with the main account but has not been updated since it was migrated with the other sub account (A).  Not all email accounts (sub accounts) from the same BT Broadband account are being migrated at the same time. Each email account is being treated as an individual account and is being migrated as such. All your email accounts will eventually be migrated. As regards the drop down box. This only works when all the accounts are on the same email system. As your account is still on the Yahoo system it can not see the other accounts. Once they are all migrated onto the same system the drop down box will function as it dis previously. 

I hope I have explained this as clearly as possible, but I am not a tech wizard and I cannot see why this has happened. It cannot be connected with the laptop I am using (a Microsoft Surface Book) as the situation was the same using an Asus in a different country last week.   On my mobile phone (a Samsung Galaxy S9) I have been using the pre-loaded Samsung email app ever since the warning from BT that the Yahoo app was no longer supported, and I am able to see and access my email sub account with my main account perfectly well. When you use the Samsung email app you are using an email client which works in a different way to when you access your email using a web browser. In an app you will have set up each email account to accessed and this is done regardless of which email system the email account is on. You can even access email accounts from different providers if you wanted to. It is only when trying to access email through the bt.com web page on a laptop that the problem shows itself. As explained above.

I realise that BT is still in the process of moving millions of email addresses from Yahoo to BTMail (although it seems to have taken an unbelievable six years since the changes were announced!) The initial migration six years ago was stopped. This migration is a new migration and is not just a continuation of the previous one. but surely sub accounts would not be moved before the main account they are attached to? As above, each email account is individually being moved. If anybody out there can offer an explanation and a solution I'd love to hear from you.  Thanks.

0 Ratings
Mike22
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Thank you, Distinguished Sage. That's very helpful, although I still think it is odd that a main account would be moved AFTER the sub accounts attached to it. My only remaining query -- which I realise you probably can't answer -- is how long this is all likely to take. Are we talking days, weeks or months? Anyway, thanks again.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

The migration is anticipated to be completed by the end of this year however under the present circumstances I would not be surprised if it takes a bit longer.

0 Ratings