cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ally3
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Yahoo

Can anyone help please, provide clear clarification on the following.....?

BT 'separated' from Yahoo due to poor service/email/hacks/scams etc by Yahoo. Previously had Yahoo A/c for years like so many BT users, do not use it any more. Received an email from Yahoo today via BTemail, sign in to our New Privacy Centre etc. etc. (which I didn't).  Checked the email sender details, IP address checked out, name of Co. linked to IP address checked, Company name Epsilon USA - checked out. This Advertising/Media linked Company was in the news a few years ago for global hacking issues, Bank scams (Barclaycard etc).

What is going on? Though BT email was relatively 'secure' yet since the new email rolled out I have had a high increase in unwanted emails, advertising rubbish etc.

Many thanks   

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
nemu
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Yahoo

I too have been receiving these “We have just launched a revamped Privacy Centre”  From YAHOO to my btinternet email addresses 

which I also find odd / suspicious as I was under the  impression That btinternet no  longer used yahoo 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

I suspect that although you may now be on the BTMail email system if you were previously using the BTYahoo email system Yahoo will have your email address on record and the message is being sent out using a held mailing list.

Or possibly.....

When you were with Yahoo your email address/account details was one of millions stolen during the Yahoo hack a few years back and your email address is now available to hackers and scammers and the email you received is a scam.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

It is clear that Yahoo stll have access to the previous Yahoo controlled BTinternet email addresses.

I too have had this email sent to my (many) email addresses. It is certainly not due to the hack of years ago.

This needs investigating, as Yahoo should NOT be sending these emails to BTinternet addresses, especially when they start :-

"Dear Yahoo member"

In other words, this is corporate spam.

0 Ratings
Ally3
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Hi Andy-N
Many thanks for your reply - will research further and post any legitimate information I obtain on the Forum as it may help others..
0 Ratings
Ally3
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Hi nemu
Thanks for your comments - going to investigate further - will post any info. I obtain on the Forum so it will help others.

0 Ratings
Ally3
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Hi, Thanks for your comments - Yes, previously a customer. However, always found Yahoo dodgy to say the least, but like many Companies without any conscience (and there are a lot) if they can gain any financial restitution without following GDP rules concerning their database then they will. I will carry out further investigation.......
0 Ratings