Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 1 of 27

Yet another BT Mail migration failure

Go to solution

After waiting an absolute age since first being informed last year that my move was in the pipeline I today got the e-mails (I have multiple e-mail addresses) saying I had been moved to BT Mail.

I tried logging into MyBT and got the page saying I had to follow certain steps to complete the move. I followed all the steps very carefully and double checked everything at each step. I got to the final step, hit continue and it just displayed the following error message. Arrrrgh!!!

BTMail-Migration-Screen5 - Copy.jpg

If I click on the help link (top right) it is useless as it just takes me to the basic BT Help page.

If I click on the Login link it just redisplays the first step ready to start the whole process again.

Why no meaningful error message rather than 'some technical error'. Really poor, lazy coding from a software development point of view.

So my first experience of the new system is not a good one. Is it really beyond BT to create a software system that works properly?

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
BomereShrew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 27

Re: Yet another BT Mail migration failure

Go to solution

Hi Umpire,

I have just experienced the exact same issue as you describe.

I have tried logging into BT Mail and no emails or folders are dipslayed just a blank page also if I click log off nothing happens.

I toatllay agree with your comment about BT being unable to create a software system that works!!

Come on BT sort it out

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 27

Go to solution

I just tried logging in to the web mail site and for me it gives me the same screen saying I need to complete the steps. So I'm locked out of both MyBT and BT webmail for now.

I think I will leave it a while before trying again as you have to go through all the steps before it fails right at the end.

I'm pretty sure this problem has been reported on the forum in the past so I'll try and find any previous solution when I can build up some enthusiasm.

BTMail-Migration-Screen1 - Copy.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 27

Go to solution

Noticed an option down the bottom left of the splash screen to complete the BT ID steps later and continue on to BT Mail. So I tried that and my main e-mail account seems to be working ok through the BT Mail webmail interface.

0 Ratings
BomereShrew
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 27

Go to solution
Last night I tried one of my sub accounts and now can't log into the webmail, again an error right at the end. Have just read your post so will try the option you mentioned on another sub account.
So at present I have the following issues:
Main account, can log into webmail but no emails or folders are displayed. My email client is unable to verify account name & password.
Su account, cannot log in as username or password not recognised & unable to eat up my email client for the same reason.
I tried the webmail again this morning and now instead of the username/password error now getting the account is locked due to too many unsuccessful log ins!
I am holding off doing anymore sub accounts until I can these 2 accounts working.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 27

Go to solution

I managed to complete the BT ID set up last night.

Something in my memory told me that the fact that my existing MyBT profile password was different to my main e-mail account password might cause problems with the BT ID set up. I think others have identified this issue in the past.

My problem was how to change a password since trying to login to either MyBT or Webmail resulted in the screen once again saying I need to complete the steps to set up my BT ID. However, as I mentioned before, on the webmail version there was a link down the bottom left saying I have 12 days to set up the BT ID and can bypass it for now and go straight into webmail. This worked for me. Once in webmail I went to the accounts management section thinking I could change my e-mail password to match MyBT. However it now just contains a link saying you now have to go MyBT to do that there. Oh dear I thought, I can't get into MyBT. However ......

... when I tried the link it didn't display the new BT ID set up screen and went straight to the My Profile section of My BT. Hurrah! I was into MyBT via a back door. So instead of changing the e-mail password I changed my existing MyBT profile password to match the e-mail one. I logged out and tried logging into MyBT via the normal front door, got the new BT ID set up screen and went through all the steps. This time it was successful and things seem to be working ok for me now.

So, for me it seems like the solution was that the existing MyBT profile and chosen BT e-mail account passwords had to match for the new BT ID set up to go through. If that is true then why on earth don't BT tell you that in the upgrade e-mail or at the start of the set up instructions? There must be lots of customers in a similar situation with non-matching passwords.

0 Ratings
AnneH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 27

Go to solution

I logged on this morning to find this new merge required with  BT ID and BT mail.  Spent 30 mins trying to sort it out myself, then 90 minutes on the phone to BT at the end of which I was told there was a "technical issue" and that they would call me back with 30 mins - that was over an hour ago.  Have now been holding again for 15 mins trying to get through but getting nowhere.

Yes - it is completely impossible for BT to roll out anything new without properly testing it beforehand!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 27

Go to solution

Is your existing MyBT profile password different to the selected BT e-mail address password?

See my post above.

In theory it shouldn't matter as you enter your MyBT password to kick-off the BT ID process and as part of the steps you enter the e-mail password as part of the process, so it has both passwords.

I was using my main BT e-mail address as the one I wanted to use as my new BT ID username. Are you trying to do the same? For me making those passwords line up before going through the BT ID process got it to work.

You can select a totally different non-BT e-mail address if you want to and I don't know what happens in that scenario.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 27

Go to solution

Absolutely terrible process.

When you either logon to My BT or logon to BT Mail then you are directed towards linking your My BT ID with your BT Mail user. Despite having already logged on with your passwords then when it comes to the process STEP 2 linking services (i.e. email) to the My BT ID the versification process does not recognise the password already used. I have checked this 3 times to make sure I was not mising anything. Laughably when I phoned up customer services they suggested they reset my password and emailed it to me. This is absolute rubbish and should have been checked properly before rolling out.

You only have 12 days to skip this process so BT better get their fingers out otherwise I supect I will not be the only one looking for another Broaband provider.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 27

Go to solution

Umpire, I use one password for BT Mail and My BT and it still didnt work! There's a flaw in the versification process somewhere.

0 Ratings