Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AnneH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 27

Re: Yet another BT Mail migration failure

Go to solution

The simple 2 minute job has now been accomplished - 3.5 hours start to finish!!!!!!!!!

I didn't even know I had a BT ID but apparently I did - linked to an email I didn't know I had (btconnect).  This BT ID had never been activated which apparently was causing problems - there was also another BT ID linked to my btinternet email which I did know about but had forgotten, which related to an account for another family member living at a different address who used my email because they didn't have internet access but wanted to get the paper-free billing discount.  This account was closed a year ago but apparently has to stay live on my on-line account for evermore!

The rest of the saga is pretty much as you described and as  you said, the problem was eventually resolved by logging into My BT rather than Email, setting everything up in there again and then going out and coming back in to Email!

I have to say that although I am relieved to at least have email access again - the new system is appalling - really cumbersome.  In order to switch between My BT and Email you have to log out of one and log in to the other, so I can't see any benefit in having merged the two.  Furthermore - the preview screen on email is a complete pain in the proverbial - you can't open an email without seeing it in preview, and you can't read it without closing the preview screen because half the text disappears under the advert on the right.  Then to read the next email you have to go back to inbox, back to preview, open the next one and close preview.

How anyone can in their wildest imaginings think that this is an improvement is completely beyond me.  Why do we stay with BT - I have no idea!

0 Ratings
AnneH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 27

Go to solution
Resolved my viewing problem - just noticed there is an option to change views.
Now noticed that whereas it used to be possible to see the sender's email address just by hovering the cursor over the sender's name in inbox, this is no longer possible - I used to do this as a way of checking for SPAM without risking opening the email - now I have to open emails before I can tell if they're risky (or I guess I could go back to the ghastly preview screen option)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 27

Go to solution

AnneH,

Do you use webmail for a good reason, such as needing to access it from different PC's? Personally I use the Thunderbird e-mail client program on my main PC which ensures a consistent user experience regardless of how BT set up their webmail pages. I probably won't be accessing the BT webmail pages again for a long time now that I'm up and running on the new system.

Most people who use an e-mail client program such as Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail (both free) much prefer it for accessing mail on their main PC. They just use webmail when away from home.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 27

Go to solution

@umpire wrote:

In theory it shouldn't matter as you enter your MyBT password to kick-off the BT ID process and as part of the steps you enter the e-mail password as part of the process, so it has both passwords.

This is of course only true if you start the process by trying to log into MyBT. I noticed an older post where someone else said the new BT ID processs didn't work for them when started via webmail but did when started via MyBT.

For me it worked late at night, so possibly trying it during a quieter period might also be advisable.

0 Ratings
dilosec
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 27

Go to solution

@AnneH wrote:
In order to switch between My BT and Email you have to log out of one and log in to the other, ...

I only ever use one link to log into MyBT, BT Mail [not often], etc. - using BT ID username and password:

https://www.bt.com/appsconsumeraccount/secure/manageEmailAccounts.do?siteArea=con.mya

I return to this page, if I want to access something else.

Manage your email addresses

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 27

Go to solution

@AnneH wrote:
In order to switch between My BT and Email you have to log out of one and log in to the other, so I can't see any benefit in having merged the two.  

Once logged into My BT you can right click on the purple Email button on the right hand end of the main menu bar and open up BT Mail in a new window. You are then logged into both MyBT and BT Mail at the same time. It will default to the BT e-mail account you have selected as your favourite, but you can easily swap to other BT e-mail accounts as well.  

Not sure if you open BT Mail on its own first whether or not there is a quick link to open MyBT from there.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 27

Go to solution
dilosec, interesting observation. When I use the URL you sent I get into MyBT through a different way and then when I sign in I get asked if I want to link the emails to the BT ID. Strangely I have always been allocated btopenworld.com addresses but the emails show for linking are btinternet.com. These are obviously aliased together but maybe the fact I have been trying to link btopenworld.com email IDs to my BT ID is the root problem?
0 Ratings
AnneH
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 27

Go to solution

Hi Guru

If I log in to my BT Email - by pushing the Email icon from the home page, it doesn't open in a new window - it changes the screen I was on - so I don't have them both open at the same time.

If I then want to go back there is no icon in Email to go back - only to log out, and if I use the back arrow in the top left it just says web page has expired.

I have found that if I log on to My BT first and the click on the Email link (an additional step from previously) I can then hit the back arrow a few times and will go back to the My BT screen.

For me, this problem is largely academic as I have no interest in accessing My BT - hence having had a user ID that had never been activated.  And I'm sorry to show my ignorance, but I don't really understand what you mean by webmail and all the other stuff you mentioned.  I have an email account because I want to send and receive emails.  I have this one because I have a BT account, and yes, it is handy to be able to access it from other computers because I like to check my emails occasionally if I am on holiday for extended periods.  Having said that, I recently found it impossible to log on to BT from The Czech Republic and BT Customer Help eventually solved the problem by directing me in through Yahoo.  Presumably this solution is no longer available so maybe I can't access emails from abroad now anyway.  Hotmail would seem to be the best solution - you seem to be able to access that from anywhere without any of this other stuff going on.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 27

Go to solution

@AnneH wrote:

Hi Guru

If I log in to my BT Email - by pushing the Email icon from the home page, it doesn't open in a new window - it changes the screen I was on - so I don't have them both open at the same time.

It depends on which operating system and web browser you are using, but normally you can place the mouse pointer over any link or button on a web page, then click the right hand button on the mouse, and then a separate menu will appear and you can select to open the link in a new window via that menu.

Example: Using Windows Vista and the Firefox web browser.

BTMail-RightClick.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 27

Go to solution

AnneH wrote: 
And I'm sorry to show my ignorance, but I don't really understand what you mean by webmail and all the other stuff you mentioned.  I have an email account because I want to send and receive emails. 

You are currently accessing your BT e-mails via a general web browser. You use the browser to go to a certain web site and login from there. This is what is meant by webmail. This is what BT provide as a basic interface that can be accessed from any PC with a web browser installed.

There is an alternative way to access e-mails. This involves installing a dedicated program on your PC that is designed for one thing, and one thing only, processing e-mails. This is what is known an an e-mail program. You can configure the program to display things just as you like it and you can add one or more e-mail accounts (BT, GMail, Yahoo, or any other) to the list that you want it to display. Oh ... and absolutely no adverts to be seen!

It can take a while to get the hang of a modern e-mail program as they have so many options to give the user full control.

One popular free e-mail program is Thunderbird.

See https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/features/

The e-mail apps that run on tablet PC's or smartphones are also examples of dedicated e-mail programs.

BT don't care whether you access your BT e-mail accounts via the BT webmail site or via an e-mail program. Both methods will be connecting to the same mail servers behind the scenes. There are certain pros and cons associated with each method.