cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

'You'll no longer receive new emails; update your settings today.'

Go to solution

Received an email this morning from BT Email Team - 'You'll no longer receive new emails; update your settings today.' I must admit I'm always suspicious when an unsolicited email asks me to change settings.  I've had similar emails in the past with no subsequent change.   

However when I tried to load my emails I got some picture of a family laughing at their expensive BT television service, but no emails.  A message briefly appeared saying BT knew there was a problem, but it would soon be fixed.  

So, I did click on the suggested link to update my settings; the simple step-by-step instructions may be simple to an expert, but they make little sense to me.  They seem to consist of a series of links that go round in circles.

The strange thing is that another BTinternet account opens straightaway , no problem.

I have the premium service without broadband - yes, I know; just haven't got round to scrapping it yet.  I tried using the Yahoo app/website on my iPad and laptop but that just brings up the BT homepage (the laughing family).  I tried installing the BTemail app on my iPad/iPhone, but it says the app is not yet available on my account. (My ios is up to date on both devices, so what does that mean?)

I've gone round in circles.  Is it just simply an issue at BT's end?  And if so, any idea when it will be fixed?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: 'You'll no longer receive new emails; update your settings today.'

Go to solution

If you go to top of forum page and select email can you login to your account?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Yes. No problem there. 

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Probably spam/fishing. I got this one today (with logos and stuff).  Hover over the email address and links (don't click) and you will see spurious addresses:

Dear User, 

The Classic version of your Mail will be replaced by our new version on 20th (NOV) 2020. So, it's time to upgrade before you lose your email access. 

Protecting your information is important to us and we work continuously to strengthen our defence against the threats targeting our Financial Institution.

Thanks for choosing BT Halo

Thanks

Nick Lane

Managing Director, Customer

Tags (1)
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution
Just to clarify my answer - was engaged in Chat with BT and maybe didn't fully understand the question. I can log into myBT account and the Community account; but not into the email account.
I've been on the phone to BT; the techie Team was stumped, but now looking into the problem.
0 Ratings
Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Not like my case then. Sorry to have mis-advised.

Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I appreciate the warning - can never be too careful, but this seems genuine.  The sender's address is authentic in this case.  I've been in touch with BT - the tech team seem as stumped as I am, but are working on it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Do you know if you are on the BTYahoo or BTMail system. If the BTMail app did not work for you I suspect you are still on the BTYahoo system but can you confirm that.

Have you tried clearing your browser's history and cookies?

There are no settings on your BT email via webmail on a browser that you can change or update however if you were using the Yahoo email log on page you must use the BTMail logon page as per this link

BT Email 

Can you log on via that link and if not what happens?

When you log onto your MyBT and go to "Your Products" then "Mail, manage" what happens?

Do you use an email client/app?

If you use an email client/app there are settings that you can change if required. They are as per these links

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-yahoo-update-settings

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-yahoo-update-settings

Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Apologies - only just seen this.  The problem was indeed associated with using Yahoo, and I had already tried to implement your suggestions - but thank you for taking the time to put them.

As far as I can explain it, the suggestions couldn't work because my main account no longer seemed to exist.  When I tried to log on, the URL at the top of the screen was something like www.bt.com/not.active.user  (That may not be exact, but you get the idea.)  However, I could still access my inbox on my iPhone, which added to the mystery.

Anyway, having phoned BT, and being moved up three levels of expertise, the problem has now been resolved. 

Thanks to all who offered advice.  Your concern to help is appreciated.

0 Ratings