Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BLTex
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Your BT Mail address no longer exists ... deleted without warning

Hello,

I make use of a @btinternet.com e-mail address for forwarding purposes (I recieve messages from that address but do not log in to check the inbox directly). As a result it does not get logged into frequently. This means it has fallen foul of the expiration rules (which I'll add either did not exist the past or were not enforeced because I have on occasion gone over a year without logging in) and when trying to log in I recieve the following message:

"Your BT Mail address no longer exists but you can sign up to another one at any time in My BT."

The address does not show up in the My BT account management and when trying to create a new one with the same name I'm told I can not because it already exists which seems odd given the above message about it not existing. I contacted live support and spent well hour an hour going around in circles to eventually be told some techno babble about automated server processes and it being unresolvable and I should just get a "different one". As a customer for any length of time, let alone over a decade, that was not service but trolling.

Doing a search for the phrase "Your BT Mail address no longer exists but you can sign up to another one at any time in My BT." brings me to here and I do see some success stories proving it can be resolved. I hope that is the case.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Your BT Mail address no longer exists ... deleted without warning

Are you still a BT Broadband customer?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
BLTex
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Ah, I knew I forgot something. Yes I am still a customer. The e-maill address was set up in the days of dial up in fact.
0 Ratings
BLTex
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Is anyone going to help?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

I have asked the moderators if they can assist. It may not be possible to recover the account, but they will be able to investigate the possibility.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Hi @BLTex I'm sorry that your email address has been deleted.

This has happened as you have not logged in to the email account for 90 days. As you have already logged into the BTID and checked and  the email address is no longer listed under the BTID unfortunately it is no longer available to be reactivated.

Thanks
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
BLTex
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Try again with a REAL solution this time and not a lazy "computer says no" one. I know this is a special effort and I will provide any details possible.

One solution would to for it be made availabe to be remade or properly DELETED. Right now, when messages are sent to the adress it doesn't bounce back meaning anyone who sends anything to it does not know WHY I am not replying to them.

I will reitterate. This is no fault of my own because I have gone YEARS without logging in before with no problems and thus thought forwarding would perfectly fine.

Suggestion: why provide an option to forward messages if you penalise those who make use of it? Please remove this dangerous feature so others are not affected.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 13

Hi.

I too can't see why forwarding emails doesn't count as account  usage. It has to access the account in order to pick up the forwarding details.

I don't believe the T&Cs specifically say that forwarding doesn't count as access, nor does it say it is. That is a flaw. Of course this only affects BTMail accounts, as BTYahoo accounts had the forwarding option removed some time ago.

The mail expert Simon-D failed to answer my question about some deleted accounts not bouncing as unrecognised. They clearly don't know, but as both you and I can give examples, they should at least ask and check.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Hi @BLTex,

I'd like to take a look into all of this for you and see if there's anything that I can do to help you. I can't promise you that I'll get everything back but I'll exhaust every avenue.

To get in touch with me, click on my user name and then copy and paste the link under "Moderation Team Email Address" into your browser.  Complete that form and I'll get back in touch with you.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the thumbs up next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

Hi DanielS

I've just read the post on Suspended or Deleted email addresses.

You need to update the T&Cs to reflect it, since that (dated 13_Jan_17) specifically says in section 7h " If your account isn’t used for 90 days in a row, we will suspend it without giving you notice".

It does NOT say how the account needs to be accessed.

Also, the T&Cs say to look at the Yahoo T&Cs if relevant - indicating that possibly using their settings is possible. You don't specifically say that in the new sticky post. If that too doesn't count as access, then that needs to be added.

Don't forget, the vast majority of people don't use forums, and many come here for the first time with this problem - at which point showing them a sticky post is too late. It needs to be in the T&Cs.