Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 7

and now REPLY isn't working!!!

Go to solution

Opened In Box, previewed an email, decided I needed to reply so I hit REPLY.

Up came the reply form, with the To and From fields filled in but then the blasted thing wouldn't let me reply. Nowhere on it will it accept the mouse icon i.e. I cannot enter anything anywhere. I've worked-around: did my reply on Notepad, saved Notepad and attached it. Farce.

Anyone else having this?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Taffy078
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: and now REPLY isn't working!!!

Go to solution

It's clear BT is having problems with the new mail. The REPLY button is now working again but hitting delete to remove empty lines has the opposite effect - they move down the page.

AND, despite my having changed the General Mail Setting to "Show the next message" in 'Action after email has been deleted or moved', the cursor is going back to the top.  Just what I don't need when reviewing sixty emails received over the weekend

AND why do the BT Postmaster emails telling me a test email to my new address has failed because there's no such account - when there is . . why do these emails refer to yahoo in the computer-speak gobbledegook? Surely Yahoo is not involved with the new Mail system  -  is it?   Smiley Mad

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

and now DELETE isn't working and BT Mail is desperately slow

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

If you have Outlook email client set up on your computer why are you still trying to use BTMail. You should have set Outlook up to retrieve your BTMail email which would mean you do not need to go into BTMail via your webmail browser.

You use Outlook to receive and send your email.

To set up your BTMail email on Outlook is straight forward and should only take about 5/10 minutes to do.

I have assumed that you want to set it up as an IMAP account so that it synchronises with any other devices you may use.

Your Name

Email address: Full btinternet email address

Account type: IMAP

Incoming server: mail.btinternet.com  

Outgoing server: mail.btinternet.com

Logon information:

User name: prefix only of email address

Password: Email password

Tick remember password

Do not tick Require password auth (SPA)

Click Button More settings

Tick box my out going server requires authentication

Tick box use same as incoming

Do not tick log onto incoming server

Advanced Button

Incoming server 993 Tick requires SSL

Outgoing server 465 Use following type encryption SSL

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Good morning gg30340. It's a long story but I found that I had a Windows Live ID and a livemail ID. What I want to do is to creat a brand new Outlook account with a new cryptic name, rather than my current "firstname.surname@". (I'm hoping this will kill off most of the spam & phishing nonsense. But because I have these old IDs and a new Outlook account in the name of the "firstname.surname@", I'm having problems. I've asked the Microsoft Outlook forum for advice and until then I've been opening my BT mail account.

But of course you're right. I don't need to. Smiley Embarassed

As I haven't any other devices (apart from my old XP - used in emergencies only for obvious reasons) do I still need an IMAP, please?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

You can set it up as a POP3 account. This will be the best option if you are not using any other devices.

You can not set up email accounts in Outlook ie a new email address. You can only do that with an email provider such as BTMail or gmail or Yahoo. Outlook is only a way of fetching your email.

You could set up a new BT email address if you want and use that as your main email address. You can have it linked to your present BTID. It would be something like xxxxx@btinternet.com.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44888

Once you have done that just add it to your Outlook email client by going into settings and "Add Account".

You can have as many email accounts as you want set up in Outlook and have them synchronised to be accessed at the same time when you open Outlook.

You decide which is the default email account and when you send emails via Outlook it will send from that account.

If you have more than one email account set up in Outlook and you want to send from an email account other than the default one you will see a drop down box in the "From"  address box and you select the account you want it sent from. 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

You can set it up as a POP3 account. This will be the best option if you are not using any other devices.

You can not set up email accounts in Outlook ie a new email address. You can only do that with an email provider such as BTMail or gmail or Yahoo. Outlook is only a way of fetching your email.

I think you may be confusing MSOutlook mail client with Outlook.com. What bright spark at Microsoft thought that one up I don't know, probably an ex BT bod Smiley Wink I think Taffy is using WLM as his client.

0 Ratings