Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
neen
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

bouncebacks to btinternet.com email addresses

Go to solution

Today out of nowhere I have been getting bouncebacks to btinternet.com addresses.  I can send to other email addresses.  I get the following message:

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain btinternet.com by mx.bt.lon5.cpcloud.co.uk. [65.20.0.49].

The error that the other server returned was:
554 Message rejected: Please check your DKIM entry in your DNS for the domain you are sending from. Guide for bulk senders www.bt.com/bulksender

I am not sending any bulk messages, just plain text to single people.

Phone BT tech support and they looked at what they could and found all my settings as they should be.  They couldn't resolve it and suggested that I just leave it for 24 hours to see if it fixes itself......?!

Anyone with any other thoughts?

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: bouncebacks to btinternet.com email addresses

Go to solution

If you are sending from your own domain, ensure you have a valid SPF and DKIM record as per the error message.

0 Ratings
neen
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the response. I believe BT checked all that yesterday.  It just seems bonkers that I was told to leave it and see if it would sort itself out........I'm trying to run a business.

0 Ratings
seanmyers
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Hi,

I am experiencing exactly the same issue. SPF & DKIM are valid.

Is there a BT Issue?

Kind regards

Sean

0 Ratings
smasher
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

We have exactly the same problem - started yesterday to btinternet.com accounts

0 Ratings
smasher
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

We have the same problem since yesterday, bouncebacks to btinternet.com addresses

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution
Saw this as well from one of my domains which uses GSuite (Google Apps) for email. It also has valid SPF, DKIM and DMARC polices and procedures implemented. Though since around early afternoon, the emails have been reaching the @btinternet accounts with no 554 returned errors.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
neen
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Oddly, and as predicted by BT tech help, it resolved itself in 48 hours.  I have since got my local IT chap to look into and improve my spam rating and I think he amended my DNS records at my registrar.

0 Ratings
Tonyclayton
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

@neen wrote:

Oddly, and as predicted by BT tech help, it resolved itself in 48 hours.  I have since got my local IT chap to look into and improve my spam rating and I think he amended my DNS records at my registrar.

It may appear to be solved, but for several months I have been unable to email anybody with a btinternet.com address. They all get rejected with a whole variety of different reasons. I cannot email the Chairman or one Committee member of an Association of which I am President, and two members of the Parochial Church Council are out of reach to me. This is an intolerable state of affairs. My spf file has been changed but made no difference. Trying to read several hundred messages of the same complaint has not helped one jot.

I am continually mailed by BT to use them as my ISP. Nothing will persuade me that this would be an evenly remotely sensible thing to do,

My only alternative is to write letters and send them by Royal Mail!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

@Tonyclayton wrote:

@neen wrote:

It may appear to be solved, but for several months I have been unable to email anybody with a btinternet.com address. They all get rejected with a whole variety of different reasons. I cannot email the Chairman or one Committee member of an Association of which I am President, and two members of the Parochial Church Council are out of reach to me. This is an intolerable state of affairs. My spf file has been changed but made no difference. Trying to read several hundred messages of the same complaint has not helped one jot.

I am continually mailed by BT to use them as my ISP. Nothing will persuade me that this would be an evenly remotely sensible thing to do,

My only alternative is to write letters and send them by Royal Mail!

Hi, welcome to the forums.

It might have been best to start a new topic thread rather than attach to one that is marked as solved and a little bit old.

However, your case is quite a frequent issue in these forums.

I'm afraid it appears that nothing is being done to address this problem, which has been ongoing for months/years.

Unfortunately the end user is requested to go to the postmaster in order to sort it out. However as I've said on so many occasions this is simply unworkable if the 10s of 1000s of businesses (and others) have to jump through this hoop - one at a time. The postmaster is of no use, because they do NOT investigate the underlying issue and will only act upon a single report.

I do not know why this is the case, and they do not come to these forums to explain their actions. The reports keep coming. The support time/cost and effort by the moderators, support and everyone else by doing one user at a time is quite simply the wrong way to do this. They do not fix the issue.

The people that lose out here are the poor recipients who could miss important or very useful emails. Granted email is not a guaranteed medium, and never has been - but BTinternet causing those users a lot of unnecessary pain. It must also be causing BT a lot of pain, loss of face and all sorts of problems - and this will only get worse.

I'll keep saying, please can this be properly investigated.

0 Ratings