cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sonigel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

bt or yahoo account

Been looking through the numerous worrying threads about BT mail and wondered if there is a way to find out if my email account is BT or BTYahoo. Been with BT for years and years, and suddenly there seems to be a problem with emails.

Afraid I don't know technicalities of emails - all I know is that one day it was fine - the next day very bad, which it has stayed!

I was concerned a while ago when the www.btinternet.com address disappeared to be replaced by www.bt.com and wondered then that BT email might disappear altogether. No problem with any other BT service all of which seem to work fine.

Should I seriously think about moving to a different email provider before I lose anything important in my current emails?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: bt or yahoo account

If you log in to your email here  you will see Yahoo branding if you are on BTYahoo mail or just BT branding if on BT Mail.

0 Ratings
sonigel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Many thanks - looks like I am with BT and not Yahoo.

Any thoughts on ongoing problems and whether I should risk staying with BT email?

Being completely ignorant on how all these systems work I'm still concerned about all the problems that are being mentioned. Maybe moving to another email address is the best answer.

Appreciate your help.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Most of the 'problems' were with BTYahoo, however the user interface of BT mail is not everyone's liking.  If you use a mail client/app then it is fine.

0 Ratings
sonigel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Thank you.

I don't know what a mail client/app is - is it a webpage?

Sorry to sound ignorant but I know nothing about how these things work.

Appreciate your time in helping.

Nigel

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

A mail client is a dedicated program for dealing with mail such as MS Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird, also known as a  mail app on a phone.

sonigel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Oh, I didn't know that is what 'mail client' is. I thought I was the client, or at least customer, of BT. Obviously got a lot to learn.

As I mentioned previously, if you or one of your colleagues at BT could point me to a webpage that explains all these terms, itwould be incredibly helpful. Don't think I want to buy a BT phone just for email, so perhaps getting a new email is the way forward anyway.

Appreciate your time, you assistants must have the patience of saints dealing with all these questions.

Nigel

0 Ratings
SeanD
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 8 of 13

Good afternoon @sonigel,

Welcome to the Community 😀  I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your BT email account.  Nothing worst than when something stops working as you expect, especially when you have made no changes yourself.  I am sure we will be able to help.

Can you give the community some details as to what problems you are having?  There are two ways in which one can access their email account, 

• Via webmail, which basically means you are accessing your BT email from the BT website.  This doesn't require any downloading of software and can be accessed from any device.  To access email via webmail you just need to pop your user details in here, BT Webmail login 
  • Via an email client, as @licquorice has commented above, an email client is a piece of software that pulls your email from the BT servers and delivers these to your device.  A client will need to be downloaded and set up with BT's server details.

Can you confirm how you are accessing your email and let us know what problems are you running into?  Can you send/receive emails?

Here are a few links that may help you, 

Need help logging in to your BT Email? 

What are the settings for outgoing and incoming BT Email servers? 

If you can give us some further info then I am sure someone will be able to help you 😁

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
sonigel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Well, email has just now stopped working completely.

What has happened?

0 Ratings
sonigel
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Sorry Sean, your reply does not make sense.
Presumably one must always use a device to read email, whether it is a computer, a laptop, or a phone. I use a laptop. Does this mean a laptop is a device that means I am a client that uses email, or a laptop is a device that uses 'webmail'? I though getting any emails through the internet would mean from connecting to the web - what other method is there? But I am still a client of BT, because I use their email service. Perhaps you could explain.
Why not just make things easier for older people to use email when trying to conect to their families in these difficult times?
Thank you for your time and patience in helping out.
0 Ratings