Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

bt yahoo email alias

Go to solution

My BT yahoo email account has two alias email accounts connected to my main address as below:

*****@btinternet.com (this is my main email address)

*****@btopenworld.com (alias email address)

*****4785@yahoo.com(alias email address). 

In the last couple of months I have been deluged with spam all addressed to the 4785@yahoo alias.  I have attempted unsuccessfully to delete this alias to stop the spam.   

How can I delete this rogue alias address?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: bt yahoo email alias

Go to solution

The btinternet.com and btopenworld.com are the same. These email addresses are interchangeable and are both yours.

Have you tried logging onto Yahoo.com and deleting the Yahoo alias from there.

See link

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN29287.html?guccounter=1

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I'm not sure the alias can be deleted, I think it might be required for the internal handoff between the BT and Yahoo mail servers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I have no problems with the btinternet.com and btopenworld.com addresses. 

My problem is with the 4785@yahoo.com which is attracting a lot of spam.  I didn't create this address and don't know how it came about.  I have tried to delete it, following online guides, but once you select "delete" the system won't allow you to save the change.  I can see online that other people have tried to delete these alias accounts without success.

Is deletion of an alias account something only BT Yahoo can execute?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

See my reply above

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

I'm getting deluged with spam, all of it addressed to alias 4785@yahoo.com, none of it to my proper address.

My spam filter is working well, but it's just so frustrating not to be able to get rid of this alias.

I suspect you may be right, but is there anyone who can give a definitive answer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi @Silverbirch,

Welcome to our Community.  Thanks for posting and I am so sorry to hear of the predicament that you find yourself in.  There is nothing worse than spam, except for spam, you cant divert or otherwise get rid of.

Unfortunately, @licquorice is correct, an alias cannot be deleted ☹️ I spoke to our product team internally and they have explained that an alias email address is an integral part of your email address so it cant be deleted without affecting your actual email account. 

Perhaps setting up filters may help ease your pain?  You could set up a filter whereby any email directed to the *4785@yahoo.com email address is diverted to a specific folder, this would then leave your inbox free of these messages.  It should also mean that managing the unwanted emails will be made a little handier as you can just delete everything in the folder you have the spam messages going to.

To do this on BT Yahoo mail,

1. Click on the cog icon in the top right and from the drop-down, select Settings
  2. Next select Filters and then Add
  3. Now you can set up your filters and select the folder you want emails from that sender to be directed to. When you’ve finished, remember to select Save

I found this information from this help article, BT Yahoo mail: Anit spam features

I hope this info helps and I am sorry I didn't have a more favourable answer for you.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings