cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glen40
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

bt yahoo mail and yahoo plus

Hi, apologies if this has been asked but can anyone help with details of yahoo mail, yahoo mail plus and Bt yahoo etc.

I have used BT yahoo as my mail provider since signing up for broadband 2 years ago.  I now have thousands of important work related emails on there and only just realised that they do not back up.

Reading forums i can see that you need yahoo plus to enable you to backup your emails.

I just joined yahoo plus, well I paid £11.99 for it but not had confirmation yet and suddenly thought as I pressed the OK button is this the same as BT yahoo or have I paid for yahoo mail plus that has nothing to do with BT yahoo ???

My yahoo mail address is xxxx @ btinternet.com 

1.Will I simply now go over to yahoo plus and all will work ok including backing up or am I in limbo with no backup.

2. how do i back up, or will thgis become obvious

If this has been discussed previously I would asppreciate being directed to the correct forum.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: bt yahoo mail and yahoo plus

Are you a BT Broadband customer?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 12

It may not be that much use to you after two years, but I always use a mail client on my PC (such as Outlook Express or Windows Live Mail) to read emails.   That way they get downloaded onto my PC, and I can back them up myself.

I prefer not to rely on somebody else to back up my important data.

0 Ratings
glen40
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

keith_beddoe Hi Yes I am a BT Broadband Customer
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

There is no need to pay for Yahoo plus. There is a free way of backing up your mail and keeping local copies.

Using Thunderbird e-mail client instead of Yahoo web mail - Will allow you to backup your e-mails

I have moved this thread to the "Other BB board"

0 Ratings
glen40
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

Well thats another issue why I got Yahoo plus as I understood it that you cannot download Yahoo mail via windows live mail as it is not supported.
have you managed to save your BTinternet emails via windows live mail?
I am also currently experiencing problems with getting my btinternet email working with windows live mail, followed advice from forums about incoming and outgoing servers etc with no luck. I get my BTinternet account into Windows Live Mail but no emails in it.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

I use Thunderbird with the settings I describe, and have no issues at all connecting or backing up mail. Windows Live Mail seems to give a lot of problems judging by all of the posts on this forum.

0 Ratings
minusdot
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 12

I too am curious about Yahoo Plus. I think it's disgraceful that as an Option 3 BTBB customer I get an inferior email package from Yahoo. Years ago Yahoo Plus was actually the reason I chose to use BT BB, but now we get ads and we can't archive our email.

I set up IMAP on Windows Live Mail, but it was flaky as hell so I gave up. I'm back to the webmail and I find it really annoying. I've gone back to Classic webmail (you have to disable javascript these days to get the option to go back to classic) because at least the ads are in less annoying places.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

@glen40 wrote:
Well thats another issue why I got Yahoo plus as I understood it that you cannot download Yahoo mail via windows live mail as it is not supported.
have you managed to save your BTinternet emails via windows live mail?
I am also currently experiencing problems with getting my btinternet email working with windows live mail, followed advice from forums about incoming and outgoing servers etc with no luck. I get my BTinternet account into Windows Live Mail but no emails in it.

I've been using Windows Live Mail for BT Yahoo mail ever since I bought a Win7 PC several months ago.  Prior to that, it was Outlook Express on Windows XP.

There is an intermittent flakiness about Yahoo's mail servers.  At the moment, they seem to be working OK.  However, they do go through patches where mail downloads will randomly fail, or will fail when you first connect.  This usually sorts itself out as WLM attempts to poll the servers for new mail every few minutes anyway.

0 Ratings
RG01
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

I left BT broadband but wanted to keep my BT email addresses, so I had to pay for Yahoo Plus.

As far as I can see it is exactly the same product as the basic email that you get bundled with broadband. And it's just as unreliable. The only difference is that you pay for it.

0 Ratings