Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

@btinternet.com @btopenworld.com

Go to solution

Hi

I have both addresses open & am gradually moving over to @btinternet.com

I didn't want to do this as I have had the Openworld address for a long time now but I was ok with having both addresses "live"

Now I'm stuck with MS as I have replaced my pc & have a new setup running win10 (pro) as I cannot access my @hotmail.co.uk address from the new pc.

Going the reset process having the 2 bt addresses seems to confuse MS !

Somehow bt internet was blocking MS messages (now sorted)

I can still access the hotmail account from my laptop so not a big issue although not very convenient

The initial confusion stemmed from the 2 separate names on the one merged bt account & MS's strange operating methods only confuse things more 

I even tried a @gmail address but MS insists on sending the verification codes to the btinternet address which it turns out was blocked but now when I get the codes MS won't tell me which address to use to confirm

Thunderbird treats btopenworld & btinternet as one address so no help there

I might even be better off keeping the hotmail address on my laptop (win7)

Sometimes I do get the option of logging in to bt mail with the openworld address

Confused.com as they say !

Any help/ideas very welcome

D*ck

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: @btinternet.com @btopenworld.com

Go to solution

@btopenworld and @btinternet are one and the same thing.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

As has already been pointed out, btinternet @ btopenworld are interchangeable and any email with the same prefix, the bit before the @ ending in either btinternet or btopenworld is the same email address.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

I know that thanks, what I was commenting on was what seems to be MS (Microsoft) complete inability to grasp that fact somehow.

Just to make things more crazy I've just tried to log in to my hotmail account & it now works normally again

I'm new to win10 & only suffer it as win7 doesn't work past 6th gen of intels cpu's

What can I say, it's working now

I don't know why or how

Quite possible I've upset something in win10 ?

I'll just mark this as solved & go quietly away into the night 😫

D*ck

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@dcdickwrote:

I know that thanks, what I was commenting on was what seems to be MS (Microsoft) complete inability to grasp that fact somehow.

Don't forget, if you used the @btopenworld address to login to a website - you would still need to do this unless you tell the site a new login. So they are not completely interchangeable. MS are probabaly the same, obviously treating them as two different entities - which they are apart from BT. Even then some people over the years have had to login to webmail using one form or the other, with the "other" form not working.

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Exactly, if the email address is being used as a 'username' as opposed to an email address, it is just a text string, no longer an email address, and obviously needs to be correct.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Andy, Licquorice

That makes sense now  🙂

Thank you

D*ck

0 Ratings