cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLL
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

changing BTinternet email address

Hello. Is it possible to migrate my existing btinternet email account, i.e. everything, emails, contacts etc, to a newly created BTinternet address, without losing anything? Ideally I'd want people to be able to email me at the old address but for me to receive it at the new address. I could then close the old email address down. Thanks a lot.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: changing BTinternet email address

You can't receive emails at the new address once the old address is closed down, you can only forward the mails from the old to the new for as long as the old is still working.

The simplest way to transfer mails from one account to another is to use a mail client such as Thunderbird. Create both accounts as IMAP and then simply drag and drop the folders from one account to the other.

For contacts, you should be able to export them as a file from the old account and then import them to the new account.

DLL
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Many thanks for this swift reply. A couple of follow-up questions please:

1. "forwarding the mails from the old to the new": can I set up the old email address to do this somehow automatically? (Or is that what you mean by using Thunderbird etc??)

2. Is it not possible to simply rename my existing email account?

Thanks again. (Are you from BT or just a knowledgeable and very helpful private individual?) All the best.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@DLL wrote:

Many thanks for this swift reply. A couple of follow-up questions please:

1. "forwarding the mails from the old to the new": can I set up the old email address to do this somehow automatically? (Or is that what you mean by using Thunderbird etc??)

If you click on your name in the top right of the Email page then click on Settings > Mail (in the left hand pane) > Auto forward then tick 'Auto forward' and enter the new address you wish the emails to be forwarded to.

2. Is it not possible to simply rename my existing email account?

No, an email address is unique. It would be like saying can I call my house a completely different address but still expect the mail to arrive in the post.

Thanks again. (Are you from BT or just a knowledgeable and very helpful private individual?) All the best.

Just another customer, this is basically a self help forum.

0 Ratings
DLL
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Once again, many thanks indeed. All the best.
0 Ratings