Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Davelcom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

compromised email

Go to solution

Email was compromised/hacked/harvested last week. Password changed ok. ficticious invoice was sent to 2 of my contacts from my email address, checked sent items and only one of them is in there. All details of the scam reported to actionfraud. Problem now is that I cannot receive emails from the 2 contacts who received the dodgy invoices, they get no error messages and assume mails are getting through, I can receive all other emails ok. Had an online chat with bt help which was useless, checked all my mail settings and everything seems ok, any ideas?

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: compromised email

Go to solution

Check with your contacts to see if they are entering your email address manually or just using the "reply to"  facility. If they are not entering your email address manually you should check your "reply to" address has not been changed in your email account settings.

Davelcom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

One contact uses outlook so I told him to delete the contact and enter manually, still the same, the other is on BT yahoo mail, told him the same and still the same result, he also tried using his android phone and still the same result.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Is your email account a BTMail or BTYahoo email account. If you are not sure, you need to log onto your email account via webmail and look at the BT logo. If you see Yahoo you are on BTYahoo email.

Have you checked to see if the emails are in your spam folder?

If you are on the BTMail system  check via settings to see if their email addresses have been added to your "blocked senders" emails.

You can add their email addresses to your "safe senders"  list.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

@Davelcomwrote:

One contact uses outlook so I told him to delete the contact and enter manually, still the same, the other is on BT yahoo mail, told him the same and still the same result, he also tried using his android phone and still the same result.

In the online settings, make sure there is no forwarding set to another email. This is what typically hackers do, but I don't think that option is available in BTYahoo accounts.

0 Ratings
Davelcom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

Hi, I use BT mail, I've checked all forwarding etc and have now listed the 2 contacts in the safe sender list.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

You can not set it up to forward only selected emails. It is all or none and the OP has said he gets all the other emails. The only way that could be done would be to set up a "rule" which would be worth checking.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

@gg30340wrote:

You can not set it up to forward only selected emails. It is all or none and the OP has said he gets all the other emails. The only way that could be done would be to set up a "rule" which would be worth checking.

My apologies, I missed the bit about other emails being received OK.

0 Ratings
Davelcom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Tried the safe senders list, still no joy.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

How are the contacts sending the email, is it via an email client or using webmail?

Who are the email providers of your contacts that are not getting through?

Have they checked per chance that their antivirus is blocking your email address?

Are they able to send email to others without problem?

Have they scanned their computer for viruses and malware after having received the compromised email and attachment from you?

0 Ratings