Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gormsgast
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

constantly being locked out, claiming e-mail has been compromised

Hi,

I have an ongoing problem with my e-mail. Almost "everyday" when logging into my mail (The one that comes with BT) I get a full page appear saying that my e-mail has been compromised, and I need to istall security software etc.....Already have Mc Cafee that comes with my B/Band package, and tells me to reset my password.

I have done this numerous times but the problem keeps on.

I have reported, and subsequently spoken to Call Centre staff in India several times, but they keep telling me to the same things over and over eg, change password, change my security question etc, etc.

I have done this, Plus I have cleared all passwords, cleared the cache, cleared the history, etc on several occasions, but almost every day the problem returns.Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Dave.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
gramps05
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: constantly being locked out, claiming e-mail has been compromised

I am having the same problem, the security screen comes up requiring you to change the password it has happened again today. It is no use you contacting bt call centres they have no clue as to how to advise you. You should address this matter to a Moderator in the Forums, because this is a Bt Technical problem. I am with bt Yahhoo mail are you?

0 Ratings
gormsgast
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Re: constantly being locked out, claiming e-mail has been compromised

I assume I'm with yahoo mail.....it's the one that comes with my BT package.

as you say the Call centres are polite and seem keen to help, but they are not able to "actually" sort oput the problem.

I signed a new contract for another year, which runs out in December, I'm seriously considering ditching BT when it expires, they are worse than useless in sorting problems out efficiently.

Dave

0 Ratings
gramps05
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

constantly being locked out/ asked to change password in Yahoo mail

Iam constantly having to change the password through the security screen which keeps appearing saying my emails might be compromised. This problem has being posted by another contributer. I like the other contributer have checked everything out with no problems. Please can a Moderater look into this with bt as it is now anoying and time consuming

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Re: constantly being locked out/ asked to change password in Yahoo mail

I have asked a moderator, but I am not sure they can do anything.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Hi gramps05 and gormsqast,

Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile under the 'about me' section to send in your details and we'll get this looked into further. You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
whiskywheels
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

My wife had this problem yesterday. 

Eventually, she phoned BT, and got it all sorted in just a few minutes.

0 Ratings
STX1300man
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

This is a problem that has been going on for ages.

It seems to be linked to using multiple ways to access your email.

I have an android phone that could be either using my home wifi or the mobile network or wifi of someone I trust when out and about (I never use public wifi).

I also use webmail on my laptop on my home wifi to deal with more complex emails where a real keyboard and the ability to easily add attachments is a benefit.

Finally I use Windows Mail (to receive only) on my laptop, to archive all my email.

ALL the above are done with IMAP, but it is a regular occurrence to get the security warning when logging on to webmail and have to change the password (and then on the phone and Windows Mail).  Which is a real pain, both thinking of new passwords and the knock on changing.

As we are NEVER told what the suspicious activity actually is, how can we now if it is us that is causing it, or if there is something dodgy going on?

My suspicions are that multiple IP addresses being used to access the account in a short space of time sets of some sort of alarm bells, but in this day and age for some of us that's normal.

0 Ratings
gormsgast
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Let's hope it's permanent, but as I mentioned, the problem reappeared a couple of days later when i tried to get mine sorted out, and it is now happening on daily basis now,
0 Ratings