cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

copy e-mails from one address to another

My main e-mail address has existed for many years. There are many e-mails that I would prefer not to delete. I understand that a way of of lightening the load on this address is to set up a new address and copy important e-mails to it.

How would the copying process work?

Thanks for any advice.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: copy e-mails from one address to another

What do you mean "lightening the load"? You have unlimited storage with BT's email system so it would not matter how many emails you have stored with any given BT email address.

If you want to ensure that you have a copy of your emails you could use an email client such as Thunderbird or Outlook and download your emails onto your computer and from there create a back up that you cab store securely.

EDIT: I gave you some advice in your last thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Tablet-lack-of-memory/m-p/1983483#M74721

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

@Geoff12 

The easiest way is to use an IMAP email client like Thunderbird, and create the two accounts.

Both will appear complete with their folder structure.

Its easy then to copy or move emails from one account to another, and the changes will be uploaded to the email server.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Not entirely sure what you mean by 'lightening the load' , however, if you wish to copy to a new address  create both accounts in a mail client such as Thunderbird, it is then a simple matter of dragging and dropping them. Create the accounts as IMAP so that the mails remain on the server.

Alternatively, just create your main address in Thunderbird  and add offline folders to store your mails on your machine.

Edit: slowly typing whilst others posted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Thanks GG30340, Keith Beddoe and Licqorice for your comments.

This does refer back to previous advice re tablet memory.

'lightening the load'  -  on my desk top opening / wrinting e-mails, and moving between inbox, sent, archive etc is a slower process than it used to be.  I don't know whether this results from inbox size, or relative obsolescence of my desktop - sometimes slowness seems to relate to to McAfee scans. On the tablet, despite a lot of deletions on the desktop, the message about insufficient memory still appears sometimes. I tried moving many e-mails to archive, but I am told that so far as the tablet is concerned 'archive' does not differ from 'inbox.'

Earlier today I spoke to a BT adviser by phone who made the suggestion about copying e-mails to a new address, so that deletions could be made on my main account, to improve tablet download.

I have to admit that I do not know about Thunderbird, what it is or how to set it up or use it - I will look into this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

You could log onto your email account using a browser and set up an archive folder and move the emails you want to keep into that folder.  You would then need to set your email client/app on your tablet not to synchronise with that particular folder which will stop it from downloading the emails to the tablet. 

As regards your PC, it may well be McAfee that is causing you problems. It can be resource hungry particularly on older computers. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Again, thanks GG30340, Keith Beddoe and Licquorice for your advice.

The suggestions look fine. To take them further, I will try to find someone expert enough in this technology to be present while we work through the advice.

Is there any possibility of taking the archive folder in BT / Yahoo off-line within the MyBT account?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@Geoff12 wrote:

Is there any possibility of taking the archive folder in BT / Yahoo off-line within the MyBT account?

No. That is not possible. 

0 Ratings