cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

delete old btinternet email address

I have an old btinternet.com email address that is no longer used by myself, it turns out this email address has been in data leaks etc and I'm not exactly sure if something dodgy is going on  but I have to reset the password a lot lately , I would like to delete it and close the account ,it has been around for about 20 years

BT support say they cannot do it as i have no services or broadband , its the free basic account you get given when you no longer use BT services

any one else try and shed some light on it? or managed this

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: delete old btinternet email address

If you stop accessing it, it will get deleted after 90 days.

As long as you are not using it, it doesn't really matter whether it is deleted or not.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

we aren't sure if its being accessed elsewhere I get 2fa codes sent to my phone recently and don't access it at all as a rule it was a zombie, it hasn't been accessed by me in the last 2 years so not sure how true the 90 day thing is , just recently weird stuff has been occurring and it was forgotten about until then

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi @mikedesign,

Thanks for visiting the BT Community 🙂

It is correct that we cannot manually delete a Basic BT E-mail, only Standard or Premium, but it would be deleted automatically after 150 days of there being no logins, you can find the full details of that here What is the usage policy for BT Email? | BT Help

If you believe the e-mail had been compromised, if they had logged in that would have prevented the e-mail address being deleted for inactivity. As long as you have re-secured the account by changing to a new password and then choose not to login again, the e-mail address should be deleted after 150 days. 

Alex