Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colbay
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

e-mail fraud

Hi all,

I have an issue with a 'G-mail' user who allegedly received an e-mail from myself with a "Reply To " fictitious  Hotmail address shown next to my btinternet e-mail address on his received e-mail.

I have hard copies of my sent e-mail and also his alleged received e-mail which confirms the absence on my sending message but appears to show its appearance on his print out.

I believe that g-mail has an option to include a "reply to" address,and it is not beyond the realms of possibility that some mischief may be involved.

Today I noted that this fictitious Hotmail e-mail address was sitting in the header of a letter which I was composing and ready to send. On further investigation of my bt-internet account,I found that two separate alias addresses had been set up and linked to my bt address. one was a bt openworld .com and the other a yahoo.com address.

Any ideas how this could have been carried out and is the mischief trackable via BT or G-mail.?

I changed my Bt password today, so may have limited any damage. 

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: e-mail fraud

if your email addresses are indentical but one is btinternet.com and other is btopenworld.com they are one and the same email address and are ok

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

The Yahoo address is an internal alias used between the 2 BT mail systems and is legitimate.

Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

@Colbaywrote:

Hi all,

I have an issue with a 'G-mail' user who allegedly received an e-mail from myself with a "Reply To " fictitious  Hotmail address shown next to my btinternet e-mail address on his received e-mail.

I have hard copies of my sent e-mail and also his alleged received e-mail which confirms the absence on my sending message but appears to show its appearance on his print out.

I believe that g-mail has an option to include a "reply to" address,and it is not beyond the realms of possibility that some mischief may be involved.

Today I noted that this fictitious Hotmail e-mail address was sitting in the header of a letter which I was composing and ready to send.

[ next sentence answered]

Any ideas how this could have been carried out and is the mischief trackable via BT or G-mail.?

I changed my Bt password today, so may have limited any damage. 

How are you sending emails, is it webmail using a browser or an app/client? I will assume later it's actually webmail based on your info about the btopenworld alias and yahoo "internal" address.

If the latter, then that's what you need to check against the account to see if you've got a hotmail address as a reply-to address.

I assume the gmail user received the correct email you sent them, and it simply shows a reply-to address for them, but not when you check the sent email in your client/webmail?

There seems to be some confusion here. Your gmail friend won't see a reply-to address unless it is set from the sender - unless they are using a client and possibly have malware.

However you've confirmed that the hotmail address is on your system. This is therefore not a gmail issue. Have you checked in webmail that this hotmail address is not set in the Reply-to box? (Click your email address in the settings and you will see a box for Reply-to)

Colbay
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for your reply. The Hotmail address is not set in my 'Reply-to' box and appeared as a faded image on my compose screen address bar.
I am a bit green on this topic . Is it possible for someone to put malware on my computer and carry out this action.?
0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

Your initial post indicated that your gmail contact allegedly saw the hotmail as a reply to, is this contact a friend or colleague, or an unknown as such?

Has anyone else you email mentioned any issues when you send them emails?

0 Ratings
Colbay
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

The g-mail recipient is certainly not a friend, but someone who allegedly posted some  invoices for my audit use to a  non existent Hotmail account and on my non-reply has attempted to invoke a contract default charge of £10 per day for an extended period

No one else has had any problem and my sent box does not show any 'reply-to' errors prior to my spotting this on 7th April 2020.

My sent e-mails are all ok,so perhaps the suggestion from a previous member that malware may have infected his computer could well be the case,but is doesn't explain how my e-mail sending address box was tampered with just two days ago.

My BT internet password which comprises of 11 letters and 4 numbers !! This has now been changed.

I am not altogether convinced that things are as they should be and wonder if there is any way of proving that my e-mail to him was clean and untampered before it went on its way to his g-mail address.

My original e-mail is still in my sent box.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

This certainly is a weird one.

When you compose any new emails, do you always see this faded hotmail address?

Your sent box won't show any "reply-to" errors, as there is nothing to give any error. The only errors would be anyone trying to send a reply back, and they alone would see a bounce message - but only if the hotmail address does not exist. If it exists, there will be no errors.

You didn't say how you were sending emails. Is it using a browser (webmail), or an app or client?

I'll send you a private message, which you will see against the letter icon in the forum screen near the top

0 Ratings