cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roz777
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

email address changed from @btinternet.com to @btopenworld.com today ?????

Hello 

I sent an email from one of my @btinternet.com addresses to another of my @btinternet.com addresses and discovered that since today the email address I sent from has been changed to @btopenworld.com !! Why has this occurred and how do I restore my email address to @btinternet.com ? Also, the "switch between addresses" box top right corner, when I go to switch between addresses, is missing a couple of options... Please help. Thank you in advance.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: email address changed from @btinternet.com to @btopenworld.com today ?????

the address @btinternet and @btopenworld and one and the same and totally interchangeable.   you probably had openworld address at outset when you joined BT and this was subsequently change to btinternet but they are one in the same

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Roz777
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Thank you for your reply but why would this change without me doing anything different?? I have been using @btinternet.com addresses for years.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

have you recently been moved to the new BT email system?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Roz777
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

I wasn't aware there was a new BT email system....what is this please? How would I have been notified?
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Some of your email accounts will have been moved onto the new BTMail email system.

While your email accounts are on different email systems  they will not show up on the drop down box and obviously you won't be able to switch between them.

When all of the accounts have moved on to the same email system you will be able to use the dropdown box.

This will only be the case if the emails are all merged under the same BT ID and haven't been gifted so some one else.

See link about the move.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/We-re-updating-BT-Email/td-p/2005956

The email addresses are being migrated on an email address basis rather than on a customer's account basis. ie not all your email and sub-accounts will be moved at the same time. You can not ask for your email accounts to be moved, it will just happen when it happens.

Mean time log on via the BT Email log on page.

BT Email 

0 Ratings
Roz777
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Thank you. That is very helpful. Can you please elaborate on why two of my addresses have changed to @btopenworld.com ….I have people asking if it is really me as they are used to me emailing from @btinternet.com email addresses. It is very time consuming and unsettling. Thank you in advance
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

I suspect it is just a glitch in the system.

Your viewable email address would have been suffixed with @btopenworld at some point and was then changed to @btinternet. I think it is actually a "behind the scenes" change and your email address is still @btopenworld on the email system but it is electronically merged with @btinternet. They are both interchangeable.

If the email address does not show correctly in a few days post back to see if the problem can be escalated although I believe things are pretty busy with the Customer Service departments so it could be some time to get this resolved.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

No idea why it has changed, but the 2 are totally interchangeable.

If the address causing the problem is still on BTYahoo then click on Settings in the top right corner then click on more settings. Click on Writing email and you should see a drop down for default sending address. Select @btinternet.com as the default.