cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twoodley
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

email address "Due to be Downgraded"

what does this message mean please?  I have had 3 active addresses (3 family members) for many years. All are still active.  My primary/favourite address and one other have this message against them, the third still shows as "Active," but all of them are used on a daily basis.  I only found out when I was about to change my password.  I found nothing on BT Email FACS, so I don't have any idea of what the downgrade leaves me with or what the result would be.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: email address "Due to be Downgraded"

do you still have BT broadband or do you have premium email?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
twoodley
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Hi - my Broadband is now provided by PlusNet, which I believe is a BT subsidiary

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

But is not provided by BT retail, hence your email will be downgraded to Basic which is only accessible via a web browser and not a mail client or app on a phone.

0 Ratings
twoodley
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

thanks for clarification.  How much notice will I be given about the downgrade?  As already mentioned, I only found out of the intention by accident...

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

I'm not sure how much notice is given for accounts that have not been associated with a BT Broadband account for some time. With the current migration to BTMail from BTYahoo Mail, BT are carrying out a housekeeping exercise with email accounts that should have been deleted at the time of leaving but were not.

If you wish to keep access via an app, you can upgrade to Premium mail at £7.50/m

0 Ratings
twoodley
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Hi again - thanks for setting out the Corporate position.  I now see from the internet that this subject has been labelled "daylight robbery" by the news media and is under investigation by Ofcom. I'll hope a sensible solution is agreed quickly, because I was intending to rejoin BT in a few months when my PlusNet contract lapses, but would not wish to do so under duress!

regards - Tim

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Whilst not wishing to defend BT's position, it is hardly 'daylight robbery'. You are receiving a service from a company that you are no longer a customer of, how many companies allow that.  Previously, the email account would have been deleted completely unless taking out Premium mail, at least now you have the option to keep a basic email service gratis.

0 Ratings
twoodley
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Okay. There's no point in the two of us falling out over this, but I disagree with you.  Most em,ail accounts are provided free of charge by major players.  The price charged by BT seems disproportionate to the cost of providing the service to people whose accounts are already operational (so zero set-up charges and presumably some cost in deleting etc) and whom BT would presumably like to tempt back to being BT customers again.  As a BT Pensioner, I feel BT is not getting its marketing decisions right in this area.  It will be interesting to see the outcome of the negotiation with Ofcom. Meantime, I will hope that I get proper notice before the intended Housekeeping takes place.

Thanks again for explaining the situation - I do appreciate your speedy response as I was totally confused this morning.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

If you check with other providers you will see that many of them are also deleting email accounts of people who are no longer a paying customer. At least BT is giving you the option to keep the email account for free albeit you can only access it using a web browser.

See link

Email Login Page (bt.com)

0 Ratings