cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

email address

Just created a second email address on my account. It works when I log in from BT but in setting up in Thunderbird it cannot connect to the bt server. All server settings are correct and my original email address has worked fine up to a few minutes ago. The confirmation email to join the community never appeared so had to access it by logging into BT (ironically it was in spam). Any ideas?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: email address

If you can log on via webmail using this link

BT Email 

there is obviously nothing wrong with the account or you password.

There can be a delay in an email account being set up and the password propagating through to the servers.

I would suggest that remove the account from T'bird or at least stop it from trying to access the account then wait until tomorrow and try setting it up again.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Many thanks. I did remove it after my post and just tried again with same result sadly. Must be something to do with the password as when I tell TBird to retest it fills in or the server details from BT and the settings match my working email account but when I click Done it searched the password then fails. Ho hum.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

I would delete the account from T'bird and restart your computer. 

After it has re-started change your email password in webmail. Do not use any special characters in the password and check that you can access your email via webmail (on a browser).

If that works you should wait at least an hour and then add the email account to T'bird,

Set T'bird up manually using the settings as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Same result sadly:( I had seen the T'bird document you kindly linked and followed it as best I could. There seems to be steps missing or the illustrations don't quite match to on screen which is a pain for a technophobe like me. The purpose of the second email address is for occasional use so will just access it via the web but many thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Is this guide to Thunderbird any help?

http://communityhelp.ddns.net/email/thunderbirdbtmail.html

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Many thanks. The problem seems to be something to do with the password. I go through the configuration process and all the server settings are as they should be so I click on DONE it starts a password check then this appears:

PP54_0-1580045229219.png

The password works fine when I log into the email account at the BT website and I presume it is the same password to use when trying to set up the account on T'Bird. The password has no special characters just numbers and letters including upper case. I can get the new email showing in the left hand pane on T'Bird with an Inbox sub folder but when I click on it a dialogue box appears after a short period saying it couldn't connect with options of retry, new password and cancel. A retry results in the same box and a T'Bird dialogue box telling me it cannot connect to the server.

0 Ratings