cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tiffin
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

email attachments not opening in BT email

Word and Excel attachments in my email on my computer will not open because I get a corrupted file message. If I use my Surface I have no problem. Word and Excel open normally from the Office applications. The BT email chatline was unhelpful and disconnected when I mentioned for the third time that it did not matter whichether I opened mail using Firefox or Chrome or anything else they suggested. I don't think its a Microsoft issue because otherwise the applications would not open directly. Any suggestions??

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: email attachments not opening in BT email

@tiffinwrote:

Word and Excel attachments in my email on my computer will not open because I get a corrupted file message. If I use my Surface I have no problem. Word and Excel open normally from the Office applications. The BT email chatline was unhelpful and disconnected when I mentioned for the third time that it did not matter whichether I opened mail using Firefox or Chrome or anything else they suggested. I don't think its a Microsoft issue because otherwise the applications would not open directly. Any suggestions??

Hi, welcome to the forums.

This sounds like something is interfering with the download.

Are you using webmail on both Surface and PC?

What anti-virus or security package have you got on the PC?

0 Ratings
tiffin
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Webmail on both. BTs standard Mcaffee on both. It affects Word and Excel only and not pdf attachments, which open straight away. Have uninstalled Office and reinstalled and cleaned up temp internet files but none of this has worked. I thought it was the security but there are no obvious differences between my PC and the Surface and you don't get a message other than "Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try these suggestions - Check file permissions...Make sure there is sifficient memory space....Open the file with the text recovery converter....."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 4

@tiffinwrote:

Webmail on both. BTs standard Mcaffee on both. It affects Word and Excel only and not pdf attachments, which open straight away. Have uninstalled Office and reinstalled and cleaned up temp internet files but none of this has worked. I thought it was the security but there are no obvious differences between my PC and the Surface and you don't get a message other than "Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try these suggestions - Check file permissions...Make sure there is sifficient memory space....Open the file with the text recovery converter....."

I wouldn't have thought uninstall office/reinstall was the option to choose! If that works fine in all other circumstances, then it can't be Office.

To me it's McAfee that's probably the culprit. Some people use it without issue, but it can affect others and cause all sorts of faults - including slow downs and internet interference. I would look at the settings in McAfee and see if there is a browser check or similar (no idea what it would be called ...) - or maybe even suspend McAfee for a while.

0 Ratings