cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

email error code 553.

Go to solution

What is the fix? I tried a one word message of "Test" to my self and got 553 error message. It keeps error code popping up

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: email error code 553.

Go to solution

Hi @las_laszlo, welcome to the forum, and sorry you're getting this error.

Are you using a mail client to send the email and if so would you try sending it from Webmail and see if you get the same error? Post back after trying that.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

I have never used a mail client. Only use WEBMAIL.  Tried on my mobile as well with same eror

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @las_laszlo, thanks for clarifying that for me. I've sent you over a Private Message so you can get in touch with the Mod team and we'll be happy to help you fix this.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @las_laszlo, thanks for your PM and that is good news that your email is working ok now 🙂

If the problem returns please post back and let us know.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Hi John,

I am getting the same 553 error and can't send any emails.  Receives ok.  I get the same problem whether its is via iphone, ipad, Outlook (office 365), Webmail.  Only happened in the last day or so.  What is the fix for this please?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks to my post about 553 errors (emails not being sent) I had a call from a very nice moderator, Neil.

He explained the error is caused by IP Addresses which are assigned by BT every time we log on. 

These IP Addresses are used time and again and if someone who used it before you has been spamming it could be on a blacklist. This will cause problems when you try and send emails.

The solution is to turn off your Hub and if you have one your Modem for at least 20 mins. When you turn it back on you should be issued with a new IP address which will hopefully not be on a blacklist.

I tried this but got another blacklisted IP address when I restarted! Third time I was lucky. Not sure what the fix is  if this keeps being a problem?

You can see if your IP address is on a blacklist by going to whatismyipaddress.com , click on the IP address and then you will be able to check if its blacklisted.

Hope I have understood this correctly. No doubt a moderator can correct me if I have got it wrong.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi thanks for the reply. I was kind of expecting John the moderator to reply however thanks anyway. When I’m getting the problem on all devices whilst they connect via the bt home hub accept the option idea but I have tried the iPhone on its o2 mobile network only (Wi-Fi off) and still not sending so I doubt it’s up related. 

0 Ratings