cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Martinrs
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

email folders

I have recently moved from Outlook on Windows 7 to MS Mail on Windows 10.  On Outlook, I stored a lot of older emails in separate folders; these folders have not been recovered with I transferred my BTmail account across from one to the other.  I'd be grateful for advice on how to recover these emails.   

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: email folders

How did you store them in Outlook, did you create them as separate data files or as IMAP folders?

If the former they will be stored on your PC as .PST files, if the latter, can you still see the folders in webmail?

0 Ratings
Martinrs
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Not that bright to know the difference. They were created as separate folders within outlook and the emails moved to them. We no longer have that computer, although I may have the .pst file but am struggling to find out how to link a .pst file to the new mail app.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Can you see the folders in webmail? Login here 

You won't be able to open the .PST file in the new app as it will be a different format. You can't import it directly but I believe there are commercial solutions to convert the file. It is not allowed to post the link on the forum but if you Google convert .PST to w10 mail you should find a solution.

0 Ratings
Martinrs
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Many thanks.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

For the third time of asking, can you see the folders in webmail, you haven't answered that question? Advice is very dependent on the answer.

0 Ratings
Martinrs
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

No I can't.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Ok, that means you didn't set the folders up as IMAP folders or they would still be on the server. Therefore it means you will have to recover the mails from the .PST file if you can find it. The mails would never have been on the server if you created an Outlook data file to store them.

0 Ratings
Martinrs
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings