Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Dee82
Message 1 of 13

email issue on phone, bt help are useless

Go to solution

I've tried to set up new email (btmail) on iphone and keep getting error messages: username or password incorrect or server not responding check details are correct

Having read countless similar issues on the forum and following all settings advice etc I contacted BT direct who told me I had to contact apple because webmail works on laptop they deem it to be nothing to do with them.

However I had my previous email (yahoo) set up on the same phone, recently deleted to make way for new email,  so  how can it be a problem with apple?  The only difference being its not a yahoo mail address now, the password hasn't changed either

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: email issue on phone, bt help are useless

Go to solution

I presume that your "new" BT Mail address is working via webmail and it can send and receive OK?

To set up BTMail on your iPhone you should delete any previous set up you have tried and restart your phone to clear out any stored cache.

It is best to go through settings >mail contacts, calendars > add account… > don’t choose the ‘yahoo’ or the iPhone's wizard option, tap the ‘other’ option from the bottom of the list > Add Mail Account and enter the following details:

1. Name – it can be anything you want, but usually your real name is preferable
  2. Address – your full BT Internet email address
  3. Password – your email account password
  4. Description – this can be used if you have more than one email account on the device but put something like ‘work’ or ‘personal or ‘BT Internet
  5. Press “Next” and allow the verification (this may take a few minutes)

On the next screen it will want you to input incoming and outgoing mail server details:

1. Tap ‘IMAP’

Incoming mail server settings:

• Host name: mail.btinternet.com
  • Username: your full BT Internet email address
  • Password: your email account password

Outgoing mail server settings:

• Host name: mail.btinternet.com
  • Username: your full BT Internet email address
  • Password: your email account password
  1. Press ‘next’
  2. Slide the notes and mail to be ‘on’ and press ‘save’ in the top-right
  3. Check your email on the device and see if it is working. Try sending yourself a message and see if it arrives. If messages are not able to send do the following:

Additional setting changes

1. Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > tap your BT email account > a window will appear, tap on your email address > scroll down to the bottom of the window and tap where it says ‘SMTP’ > tap the primary server (which should be mail.btinternet.com) >make sure the following is on or enabled:
    1. ‘Use SSL’ should be ‘ON’
    2. Authentication should be ‘password’
    3. Server port should be ‘465’
    4. Press ‘done’ in the top-right
  2. Now do back to your emails and see if you can send

0 Ratings
Dee82
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Email works fine on the laptop, webmail.  It's a new email account, had it just over a week now.

Followed all your instructions for the second time (saw it on another thread earlier) and nope it doesn't work

0 Ratings
Dee82
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

It keeps saying username or password incorrect or server not responding and to check details... I've also changed everything on webmail so that new email is primary however I suspect there's a sync disconnect between web and phone like I've seen on other threads.  Nobody seem to know how to rectify it though and I don't want to delete the old email address from my account until I can have this properly set up

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

I would agree that you do not delete your old email address. It should make no difference to setting up your new email address in any case.

I suspect that you are right about it being a server synchronisation problem but as you have found, because your webmail is working as far as BT are concerned your email is working and they don't offer any support for email clients/apps.

What you could try is to set up the new email account on your laptop via an email client such as Thunderbird to see if that kick starts the server into synchronising correctly and if it does work try setting up your iPhone again.

If you decide to try that make sure that your iPhone is not trying to access the email address by either deleting the account from your phone or turning your phone off when you are setting up Thunderbird.

Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@Dee82wrote:

Email works fine on the laptop, webmail.  It's a new email account, had it just over a week now.

Followed all your instructions for the second time (saw it on another thread earlier) and nope it doesn't work

Hi @Dee82. Apologies if this is a silly question, but does webmail work on your iPhone? At least that would prove data is working.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

@VeteranISPUser wrote:

@Dee82wrote:

Hi @Dee82. Apologies if this is a silly question, but does webmail work on your iPhone? At least that would prove data is working.

See last paragraph of OP's first post.

0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Hi, Authentication of webmail and clients work differently and if webmail works, then there is some sort of password mismatch causing client to fail. I have accounts across both yahoo and new bt mail and see this regularly. The workaround is to reset the password and if no, reset it one more time. Usually works within 3 attempts indicating a intermittent system bug. This works better on new bt mail than yahoo.

borderline
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

I've been having the same issue all day. The only diffence is that my account is not new, had it for years

It keeps saying cannot get mail , username or password is incorrect

webmail is fine, it's just on my iphone

0 Ratings
Dee82
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

If I login through the internet search engine on iphone the emails don't display properly so I end up having to go to the laptop anyway. 

I've done 3 password resets and it's finally set up now on the phone woohoo! Thank you for all your help guys, much appreciated

0 Ratings