cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lloydfred
Message 1 of 5

email issues

Hi All,

I'm new here so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong section. I have searched but can't seem to find an exact match to my problem. 

I have just started up a small business from home, and am using a BT Home Hub for my Internet connection. I would like to use the business email to interact with customers. I am also using Outlook 2003 and have set up my business email through that.

The problem is that I have tried to use IMAP and POP3 to handle the mail. I can accept email traffic via IMAP but cant send. Alternatively I can send mail through POP3 but cant accept any mail, I'm pulling my hair out Smiley Mad

Also my email address is run through my web designer's server.

IMAP

User name: is name of business

email: is business email

User name: email of the business

Password: password of the server

Incoming IMAP server: mail.businessname.co.uk

Outgoing IMAP server: mail.btinternet.com

My outgoing server (SMTP) requires aurthentication is ticked

Incoming: server port: 110

Outgoing server port: 25

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards

Lloyd

Thank you am now in touch with Business.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Oliver341
Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: email issues

Outgoing SMTP authentication has to use your BT username and password, which will be different to your incoming username and password.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

You should really be using a proper BT Business service, as BT cannot give any guarentee of service if you try to run a business on a Residential broadband connection, its not relaiable enough for that, as there is no SLA (Service Level Agreement)

Its also against the residential T&Cs, and you have now mentioned your intention on a BT forum.

BT Business use a totally different e-mail service which is fully supported by Outlook.

See their forum http://business.forums.bt.com/

0 Ratings
Lloydfred
Message 4 of 5

Hi Thanks for the help, but it says IMAP server sending unrecognised greeting if I change the 110 port that stops but I still cant send.
0 Ratings
Lloydfred
Message 5 of 5

Hi and thanks but I'm just trying to send emails via an alternative email address.
0 Ratings