cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bueller
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

email password issues - tearing my hair out!!

UGH!

I've been with BT for YEARS and have never experienced any problems at all. So a week or so ago I started to get failure notices - some of my sent emails were not arriving at the other end but it was intermittent.

Then Outlook and MacMail kept prompting me for my password, no problems with getting to my mail on my iPhone or via webmail. So I eventually changed my password and all was fine, for a bit. Then I hit the same password prompt in both Outlook and MacMail.

I downloaded the BT desktop helper wotsit on my PC and it detected problems with my Outlook set up and prompted me to change my password again! So I did, and it worked.....for a bit. Now I am back to square one again, still can get mail via webmail and on my iPhone but not via another client.

I've even downloaded Thunderbird but that's not working due to - yep you guessed it password issues - gah! My handy BT desktop helper wotsit is also asking me to change my password again as it doesn't recognise it.

This is driving me crazy, any ideas? Thank you 🙂

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: email password issues - tearing my hair out!!

The first thing I would do is uninstall BT Desktop help. It causes more problems than it solves and is not needed on your computer.

The email problem you have has been an going problem for years with iMacs, Outlook, and BTYahoo. There are numerous posts on this forum and the Apple forum about it and just about as many suggested fixes. Some work for a while and some don't but the problem always seems to return.

The fault is not at your end so changing your password won't make a difference. The fault is believed to be at the Yahoo servers. The "fix" that seems to work most times is to leave it alone and it usually resolves itself in a couple of days. Sometimes logging into your BTYahoo webmail account can help it resolve quicker.

The only good news about this problem is that BT are moving away from Yahoo during the course of this year so hopefully this problem will also go away.

bueller
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for your help, how dissapointing but yay to moving away from yahoo:)

0 Ratings
mickos47
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

I read on another thread on the same issue (http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/E-mail-password-rejection/td-p/234061/page/67) that the problem may be that some of the details of old email sub accounts have been lost by BT during the  migration away from the Yahoo servers. This would make more sense why for some of us resetting passwords are not working - the email accounts probably no longer exist. It has also been been suggested that it would be unlikely to get the email adresses back either.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

the post you refer to is a year old and not related to BT moving away from yahoo but yahoo migrating between there own server farms causing problems
0 Ratings