Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

email stopped working on Iphone and ipad

Go to solution

Both mine and my wife's bt email accounts have stopped working on our iphones and ipads, this happened some time over night and since then we both get the same message that the username or password is incorrect, which they are not.

I have tried to delete my account from my iphone and then restore it but after I have entered the info and it goes to verification it says the username or password for "mail.btinternet.com" is incorrect. we can access the emails via webmail but not on the ipads and iphones. Funnily enough I had an email from bt overnight welcoming me to my new and improved email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Message 2 of 20

Re: email stopped working on Iphone and ipad

Go to solution

I have this problem today also.  All my accounts which use IMAP cannot connect to mail.btinternet.com however those which still Yahoo Mail are all OK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

I have had the same problem and the only way I could find to fix it was to disable the account and reinstall it from scratch. I couldn’t see any difference between the old settings and the new ones but it worked. That was for IMAP accounts and I had a couple of POP ones that had also stopped working. I made sure that the “use SSL” option was on by sliding the button to green (use SSL) and set the port to 995, and this fixed it for me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

I have also tried accessing my bt email accounts through both gmail and Thunderbird, both have the same issues as my iphone and ipad. I have never had problems with my bt emails on Gmail or Thunderbird before.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

It is difficult to pinpoint exactly what the problem is caused by as it seems to be different on different devices. For IMAP accounts, what seems to work is disabling the account and setting up a new one from scratch. For POP accounts, deleting the password in iPad/iPhone settings and re-entering it worked for one of my accounts that was playing up. I noticed that, very late a few nights ago, my router showed an orange light for 15 or 20 minutes and I had no  internet. I noticed the email problems immediately after this but it could just have been co-incidence. I also noticed  problems with a Hotmail and an Outlook account at about the same time. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks for the response.  I had reset my passwords, deleted the accounts from my phone etc but no luck.  However the next morning emails started flowing through again so I guess this was a BT issue.  They are unable to tell me what the issue was.  But it’s all working now.

Thanks all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

MartinUK1, I am pleased that your email is not working. I find that an email account that, without any intervention on my part, starts to give problems is one of the most irritating and frustrating computer issues possible. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

Martin UK1, my previous message should have read “now working”. My brain must have been self-isolating.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

Haha absolutely I agree.  I work in IT so I didn’t think the issue would be at my end 😉

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

@MartinUK1wrote:

Haha absolutely I agree.  I work in IT so I didn’t think the issue would be at my end 😉

This issue is the most common in this forum section. A look through the threads and you will see plenty. It is pretty much never a user issue.

0 Ratings