cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 20

Re: email stopped working on Iphone and ipad

Go to solution

Well, deleted my bt email account from all devices, waited 4 days, tried to reinstall my account on my iPad, no change. BT say’s no!

What an utter shambles, I think my best bet is now to ditch this **bleep** email service and switch everything over to my Gmail account. 
Thanks for all the interest, hope you all have better luck than I did.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 20

Go to solution

You should stop your phone and any other devices from checking for email on the account you want to set up. The easiest way of doing that is to turn them off if you still have the account on your device or change the email address by inserting a couple of digits to stop the account being checked. If you have deleted the account and it is no longer on your device do not try and add it at this time.

Once you have done that, change your email password and check that you can access your email via webmail (on a browser).

If that works you should wait at least an hour  to allow the servers to sync and then add the new password to your phone and again check it works. If it does then move onto the next device if you have one.

When entering the settings, make sure that in the Outgoing server you do not use the "use same as incoming" for the email address and password. Enter them manually.

If the above does not resolve the problem, when you change your BT password on an iPhone/iPad/Apple device it may only change for INCOMING mail.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Passwords & Accounts or on older devices Mail, Contacts, Calendars. From there select the BT email account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming server there, the outgoing mail server only shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it.

When setting up the email account on your device you are best to set it up manually, using "other" and ensure that you are using the correct settings as per this link.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin...

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

Thanks for all your efforts, tried everything on your reply still not working!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

@Solent wrote:

Thanks for all your efforts, tried everything on your reply still not working!

Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email through a BT Premium Email account?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

BT Broadband customer.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

Was the email account you are trying to set up on your mobile devices initially created from your current BT Broadband account or was it created from a previous BT Broadband account?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

Hi.

All 3 of these email accounts (mine and 2 of my wife’s) were created in a previous BT broadband account, my current BT broadband account was activated on or about the 9th of March this year.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

If you have not linked the email accounts to your "new" BT Broadband account it is probable that you email accounts have been "downgraded" to the BT Basic email account. This means that they can not be used on an email client.

The reason that this may have happened is that when you "left" BT on your previous BT Broadband account, your email accounts would be seen as not being linked to a current BT Broadband account and would be downgraded, previously the would be marked for deletion.

See link

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-email-products

You will need to ensure that the email accounts are linked to your new BT Broadband account. See link how to do that.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/can-i-move-my-bt-email-address-to-another-account...

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

Cracked it!

Imported all email accounts into “new” broadband account and all accounts now available on al devices.

Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions, we’ll done.

Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

I have reset password, reinstalled on I-phone and can send emails but it does not update and refresh incoming. When I reinstalled it brought across all emails. 

My i-pad still works fine, it accepted the new password and I did not need to re-install.

i think I may be missing a simple setting on my I-phone? And ideas what that might be?

0 Ratings