Woke up this morning to find I'm now on v2.19.1, and have now got my 'attachment' view back in operation! Also discovered that a while back I had been put on v2.19.0 to see if it resolved another 'fault' I had but once fault was diagnosed, reverted back to 2.18.2 for almost 4 weeks till today. So, alls well that ends well.
Now, all I need sorted is to be told when I have new emails sitting in my sub folders and I'm pretty much sorted! 😀
Spoke too soon!! After getting 69 pages of attachments, I went to view P2, got the usual error of 'no attachments found', then re logged in again and can no longer view any attachments. BT, please stop messing with my head - it's going to explode!!
Welcome to the new & improved!!
We shall see if after deleting some emails I still have to refresh webpage to get anything to work.
Still unable to send emails to family etc if I am trying to send a link, e.g from energy supplier, pops up with error message saying suspect trogan etc & refuses to send. So this is still happening since update 😞
Are you sure that it is BTMail that is stopping it and not your antivirus or other security feature on your browser/device or if you are using an email client/app, security on that.
Appears to be BT email specific, as when I send the exact same email with the link included via gmail there is no issue.
Just seems to happen occasionally if I try to include a link from a site such as energy supplier, as happened yesterday, or a link to a funny of Facebook.
I am not aware of any inbuilt security with BTMail that would be blocking genuine links to genuine sites from being emailed that I could suggest you turn off at least on a temporary basis to see if that is the problem.
Have you tried a "clean" browser with no addons/extensions per chance it is one of them that is causing the problem.
Tried both Edge & Chrome but no change. Not a major issue as I just send it via Gmail but thought I would mention it in case others were coming across the same problem.
I rarely use webmail, preferring an email client, except for testing issues highlighted on the forum and I have found no problems sending links in both rich and plain text.