Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bruce20
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Hello

I'm a recently retired ex-BT employee *********

On Friday I tried to send an email message to my ex-colleagues and since then neither I or my wife can send emails, getting the error on MS Outlook of

Sending' reported error (0x800CCC67) : '  The server responded: 421 Too many messages (1.3.2.3) from 81.146.38.232 .  'What's the way out?  Reboot the home hub and hope I get a new IP address?  There's something fundamentally wrong here. I can receive emails OK.  Tried a web chat and got the usual "we don't support Outlook" nonsense. Disappointed to see others experiencing the same problem on this forum and leaving BT as a result.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: email

Go to solution

@Bruce20wrote:

Hello

I'm a recently retired ex-BT employee (x) 

On Friday I tried to send an email message to my ex-colleagues and since then neither I or my wife can send emails, getting the error on MS Outlook of

Sending' reported error (0x800CCC67) : '  The server responded: 421 Too many messages (1.3.2.3) from 81.x.x.x .  'What's the way out?  Reboot the home hub and hope I get a new IP address?  There's something fundamentally wrong here. I can receive emails OK.  Tried a web chat and got the usual "we don't support Outlook" nonsense. Disappointed to see others experiencing the same problem on this forum and leaving BT as a result.

Hi, welcome to the forums - not sure what the BT number is all about.

Can you send emails via webmail? I.e. using :

www.bt.com/mail

Typically the error you are seeing could be down to a couple of reasons, a temporary issue going away after a couple of days. I don't think emailing ex-colleagues was relevant, more likely a coincidence - but as both ends are BT who knows!

Also this error can seem to stem from the system believing your account was compromised somehow.

Do you use other devices?

If it doesn't clear after another day or so, then the account may be locked for app/client access email sending. In this case a password reset has been seen to clear the issue for some people, but is not really a fix. Stop Outlook from checking for emails before changing password, and wait at least 15 minutes before checking afterwards.

A power cycle to get a new IP address is worth trying.

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

@Bruce20wrote:

Hi, welcome to the forums - not sure what the BT number is all about.

It's his old employee number.

0 Ratings
Bruce20
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

After two home hub reboots, each time getting a different IP address it still didn't work.  Then by 1515 this afternoon it decided to start working again.

On a web chat it was agreed that the recipient limit is 49 on any email, including webmail. Going over that seems to have triggered a block of some sort that involves a timer before it comes off.  That block affects all email being sent from the home hub using MS Outlook so the wife and daughter couldn't send from MS Outlook either.

The immediate answer was to send from my outlook.com email adress, which took the "over 49 recipient" email without question.  The longer term answer is to migrate to outlook.com as I can't be doing with being messed around like this. 

Sorry BT, you are one step closer to losing not just my email but the land line, broadband, TV and 4 linked mobile accounts too with this sort of service, which is more than a little disappointing.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Hi again.

The 49 limit per email has been around for a number of years. It's a pity you didn't mention how many recipients you were trying to send to in your initial post.

Note that hotmail, well now outlook.com, also has a limit per email of 100.

Your best bet it to ditch btinternet email as it's recommended to use something else. It might take a few months to tell contacts, any online website logins etc, but you will then not be tied to an ISP email. Gmail is a better option.

As I mentioned the emails would start again. The block did happen on your whole account due to the amount of recipients. The stupid system believes you ard a spammer on blocks it.

BT mail system and their team don't get it. There must be a lot this affects from time to time, particularly club members.

Shame BT internal communications don't provide this information.

0 Ratings
Bruce20
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I didn't realise the 49+ email addressees would be an issue until later.

Whilst service restarted after a few days it's gone again now and been gone for over 2 weeks. I can't access btinternet email from Outlook 2013, the inbuilt Windows 10 Mail app or my new Samsung tablet.  Reduced to just web mail while I try and migrate off btinternet email.

In desperation I wrote to BT complaints at customer.care@bt.com last Tuesday and nothing.  Not a message received or anything.  I'll give it a few more days then try an escalation to Gavin.  

As part of my efforts to fix the Outlook 2013 issue I removed the btinternet account from Outlook and now can't remake the contact so have an OST file with all my stuff in it, some of which (e.g. Notes) doesn't appear in web mail.  I managed to download a free OSTR file viewer so retrieve the Notes at least, but it's all very frustrating as many web sites use your email as a logon, so this  migration is taking hours...  To anybody interested, don't use an ISPs own email for web site logons. 

0 Ratings