cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
GMAC2
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Been unable to access an email account for 7 days after supposed security threat. In trying to resolve suspect there may be an issue to do with old email accounts using @btopenworld.com.

Is it possible for there to be two email accounts owned by different people one with name@btopenworld.com and the other with name@btinternet.com (not real name obs!) Having huge difficulty getting access to an email account and being told those suffixes are  now interchangeable when they are not. If the system treats them as one then neither party will be able to access after a password reset.

Attempts to access the email sends me to account holder's page ie me, and then asks for email password to be reset again  - round and round down a rabbit warren!

Have reset password 24 times, waited for five days for resolution by Yahoo team who do not return calls when they claim to have done so and so far spent five hours on phone to BT complaints team. 

Any suggestions for a resolution ?

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: email

Go to solution

name@btopenworld.com and name@btinternet.com are one and the same email address and are totally interchangeable.

Is the email address you are trying to access your primary email address or a sub-account? Its not clear from your post if the password reset works temporarily or not.

0 Ratings
GMAC2
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for reply. A sub account. You say interchangeable but we had had emails intended for someone else using the @btinternet suffix in years gone by so not sure that is always true. Password reset seems to work in that I can then login in but login only takes me to a BTID page offering a further chance to rest the password then goes through four stage verification process but doesn't recognise the details. A right muddle!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

the @openworld.com and the @btinternet.com are as @licquorice says interchangeable and sending to either should end up in your inbox.  if that does not happen then check email addresses before the @ are identical and if so then you have an email problem and need to report it to BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution

I can assure you they are totally interchangeable, if the emails were intended for someone else, they had been addressed in error.

If you go to MYBT and manage email addresses, does the account show as a sub account, i.e is it associated with your BTID?

0 Ratings
GMAC2
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

No it doesn't appear  so guess actually is not a sub-account - it seems to have an ID all of its own and no account. I have tried to claim it into my ID but it says it is already claimed. The email address has existed for 17 years and would have been created under a long defunct account/home address. 

0 Ratings
GMAC2
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks - have been reporting an email problem since Sunday evening with little success and many very lengthy phone calls when passwords are reset endlessly! 

Have run numerous tests when email account was available and the @BTinternet did not end up in email account.

Thanks for any help!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Yes, but at some time you should have associated it with a BTID, either your primary or its own. This is probably where the problem lies. Although email addresses in the format @btopenworld and @btinternet are interchangeable and the password is the same for both, that is not the case when the address is used as a BTID. 

I think we might need to get the mods involved, I will ask them.

GMAC2
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

thank you! Got a lovely image of chaps in parkas on their scooters with Quadrophenia playing the background!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

😂😂😂