on 17-07-2013 22h02
since yesterday i cannot send any emails via outlook 2007.
error message for default email address i get is
sending' reported error (0x800CCC61) your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server has reported an internal error. if you continue to receive this message, contact your service administrator or internet service provider (ISP).the server responded: 522 IP FOUND IN DNSBL (please check for ip address listing on common DNS RBL services)
error message for other email address i get is
sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : the connection to the server was interrupted. if this problem continues, contact your service administrator or internet service provider (ISP). the server responded: 522 IP FOUND IN DNSBL (please check for ip address listing on common DNS RBL services)
any help appreciated
on 18-07-2013 15h28
18-07-2013 15h50 - edited 18-07-2013 16h47
I've been having the same error using outlook 2010 and 2013 as the others, it started yesterday - though sending through my phone seems to be fine.
If you could send me that link for help it will be greatly appreciated.
Edit: OK finally got around this error - here is what worked for me
I googled DNSBL - and went to Kloth net to look up my ip address on DNS blacklists.
It reported that I was on a PBL list at spamhaus - and there was a link to click on.
After clicking on the link - it took me to spamhaus and I followed the blocklist removal help on the site.
After filling out the request - it said to wait from 30 minutes to an hour before the removal will be worldwide (in the meantime I kept refreshing the search on kloth net)
Once kloth net reported I was not on a list - I tried sending an email again and all was well.
Not sure if you will all have the same circumstances as me - but if you do I hope the info is useful
18-07-2013 16h42 - edited 18-07-2013 16h48
This link may offer you some help
What link, mate? You haven't posted a link!
Anyway, same issue here. Intermittent last night, not working at all today. I can send, but not receive. Webmail, phone and everything else works fine, all passwords checked and okay.
Task 'OldBear Personal - Receiving' reported error (0x80042108) : 'Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
Windows 7 64-bit, Outlook 2010. Not made any changes to my system.
on 18-07-2013 17h55
I've had this on and off for a couple of days now, its a pain but you can get and send your emails by logging on directly to BT Yahoo here:
18-07-2013 19h58 - edited 18-07-2013 19h59
After e mail being up and down for 2 days, this solution (from another thread) fixed it for me "posters name was grandpa"
I am having exactly the same problems with Thunderbird. I have complained to BT and received a ridiculous answer from someone abroad. To fix it I have changed - Account Settings - Server Settings - Connection security from STARTTLS to SSL/TLS. I don't know what the effect of this is, but I can send and receive emails. What a pity the support is so poor.
on 18-07-2013 20h17
I had this from this morning. I solved my problem... it was down to my spam filter - Peerblock - blocking the company providing the new mail service. once i allowed Critical path inc ,after finding this on a google search,
During the summer the BT Yahoo! portal will close, but existing customers will still be able to access their BT Yahoo! Mail account by clicking on a link from BT.com. Later in the year, existing customers will be moved to BT Mail. Your inbox, including all your folders, will be moved over and you will keep the same email address, although you may be prompted to change your password.
BT has chosen a company called Critical Path to provide the BT Mail new email service.
We will be contacting all of our BT Yahoo! customers in the coming months to tell you what to expect before your email is switched to the new service. http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/4242087-bt-cha
My windows mail worked again.