Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
completebeginner
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

having email account for my own computer

Go to solution

My other half and I have shared a BT email account for donkey's years.  I now have my own computer and would like to be able to do emails on my own computer, because he's parish clerk and spends a lot of time on the up-to-now shared computer.  If I were to downlad emails from my computer we would end up with some emails on one computer and some on another, which we want to avoid.  I have Windows 7 so I would be using Windows Live Mail (I assume) - I haven't set anything up yet.

I understand that I can have a sub-account (which I assume comes for free), but how do I make sure that the emails on that account come to my computer and not into a common in-box?  I want to deal with emails on my computer not by going onto the internet.

If a moderator is reading this, you may like to know that  I tried to get the answer to this by searching the BT site.  I got as far as a question about sub-accounts on the FAQ section (if that's what it's called) and clicked the "This did not help" button.  Following the suggestion to "contact us" I filled in the contact form, which has been neither acknowledged nor replied to three weeks later.

I hope I've been clear enough about my question, as my name indicates I know very little about all this, this is the first post I've ever made about anything. 

Thanks in advance  

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: having email account for my own computer

Go to solution

If you are reading emails on your computer, nnot webmail, then I assume you are using some program such as Outlook Express or Windows live Mail.

That program will be configured to connect to an email account and download the mails for it.  In Outlook Express, look under Tools->Accounts.  Other programs should have a similar account set-up panel.

If you set up an additional sub-account, then it will have its own email address and password.  You just need to set the email programs on each machine to only download the mails for the correct address(s) and password(s).  All other accounts will be ignored on that PC.

Highlighted
NinjaZXR
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Hi, welcome, never be afraid to ask anything,anywhere,anytime, life's too short Smiley Very Happy

Hope this is some help.

Windows 7 does not come with an email client built in.
Windows Mail is part of Windows Live Essentials.

download link
http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail?os=other
You can select to install only windows mail.

I'd just like to add, all the email help is covered under the broadband section at BT

Sub-account setup help
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1073

BT Help pages start here, select email from the left column
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/hub/c/346

BT Yahoo help can be found here.
http://btybb.custhelp.com/app/home/c/149

completebeginner
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you, that's very clear. Smiley Happy 

May I ask another couple of idiot questions?  Do I have to set up my new sub-account before acquiring an email program, and do you have a preference between Outlook Express and Windows Live Mail?

0 Ratings
completebeginner
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you for your welcome.  I've never used forums before, I hope I'm using the right etiquette!Smiley Happy

Thanks also for taking the time to give me all those links, that was really kind.  I'll explore them now.

Do you have a preference between Outlook Express and Windows Live Mail?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Hi.

Microsoft stopped doing Outlook Express a little while ago, the replacement from Microsoft is Windows Live Mail. It is perfectly adequate for your needs.

Once you get used to that you may want to explore other free mail clients, such as Thunderbird or Opera Mail

toekneem

(EASBF)

Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

@completebeginner wrote:

Thank you, that's very clear. Smiley Happy 

May I ask another couple of idiot questions?  Do I have to set up my new sub-account before acquiring an email program, and do you have a preference between Outlook Express and Windows Live Mail?

You would need to make sure that you have the username and password to set up the account in Windows Live mail

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
completebeginner
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you, your courteous reply shows how much of a beginner I am!

I've just been looking at reviews of Thunderbird, since the BT help wizard suggested it as a program it could use.  There seem to be a lot of people who've had problems with getting it set up, which I wouldn't have a clue about!  I'm thinking Live Mail is the safest option for me.

0 Ratings
completebeginner
Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Thank you for this.  How kind patient people like you are helping beginners like me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Hi.

I would try out live mail first, it would be easier to set up. Then after a few months, maybe download and try Thunderbird. There are many email clients out there some free, some chargeable, it is all about being comfortable using it.

[edit 16.33] We all had to start somewhereSmiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)