Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
halfhearted
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

how do I reset my secret question

Go to solution

Hi, I have a BT landline. I am the legal owner of the account and I pay the bill. My email address ends in btinternet.com.  I was recently blocked from my email account because of "suspicious activity". I suspect this was simply my VPN. I was able to log in using my email address and password but was then asked for the answer to my secret question. I had no recollection of setting up this question and could not recall the answer. This caused considerable difficulties. I have to change my secret question so that I know the answer next time this happens, but there seems to be no way to do this. I don't need to change the password, just the secret question. Can someone explain how this is done please. Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: how do I reset my secret question

Go to solution

It can be changed in the Profile section of MYBT.

0 Ratings
halfhearted
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. The word "Profile" does not appear on MyBT. I have included a screenshot of MyBT after I have logged in. There is no link to "Profile". Does anyone know how to change the secret question, not the password? There seems to be no way to do this. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

MYBT.jpg

0 Ratings
halfhearted
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

If I click on manage my details circled in red below I receive an error message. This is the second image below. The error is permanent. How can I change my secret question in these circumstances? Thanks for any help.MyBT Profile Error Message 2.jpgMyBT Profile Error Message.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

If you log on to MyBT then hover your mouse over MyBT in the purple menu bar it will show a drop down list. Under My Account you will see  Your Profile. Click on that.

0 Ratings
halfhearted
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

This takes me to the same error message. See image below. The error is permanent. This does not change. Does anyone know how I can change my secret question under these circumstances? Thanks for any help.

MyBT Profile Error Message 3.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Hi @halfhearted,

Welcome and thanks for your post!

Sorry for the problems you're having changing the answer to your security question.  I used my personal BTID to follow the instructions the guys on here gave you and it is giving me the option to make the changes that you're trying to make.  Not sure why you are seeing that error so send your details over and we'll check this out.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
halfhearted
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks, I sent the details you requested in the private message.

0 Ratings
halfhearted
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

This problem is now solved. BT rang me back from their Tech Support in India. The technician changed my password from her end. If I now log in to https://bt.com/mybt and do "MyBT>Your profile" I no longer receive the error message. I was able to edit my secret question and enter an answer that I will be able to use if the problem ("suspicious activity on your email account") recurs, which it probably will. Thanks for your suggestions. Problem solved.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

I hope you have since changed your password from the one that BT changed it to.

0 Ratings