cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baxlobs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 28

iPhone cannot send mail, but can receive!!

Go to solution

Hi,

Having looked through several pages of the forum I see I am not alone, but no solution seems to have been found.

Since switching to the new BT Mail system a short while ago my iMac works fine after some initial finger trouble in setting it up.

However I have totally failed to get my iPhone to send, it receives OK.

I have deleted and set the account up anew several times taking great care with the settings.

I just get the error message "Cannot Send Mail The username or password for .......@btinternet.com is incorrect"

If one was incorrect - they are definitely NOT!! -  I would presumably be unable to receive either?

My settings for the outgoing mail server are

Hostname mail.btinternet.com

Username my@btinternet.com

Password kjasghdlqwfgh

Use SSL ON

Authentication Password

Server Port 465

All exactly as advised on the webpage

Interestingly my wife using a subaccount can send and receive e-mails OK on her iPad

Her settings are as above except that

Use SSL is OFF

Authentication is Password

Server Port is 587

I have tried changing the settings on my iPhone to those on the iPad, but verification fails. 

Both are using IOS 7.1.2

I have e-mailed BT Help and got a fairly useless response which started out saying

" I would like to inform you that, we are not trained on the troubleshooting steps for any email clients and mobile devices. However, below are the email settings (general) that you can follow in order to fix the issue with your Apple device (ios 7 )
IMAP"

It then basically copies the setup information on the website, but in the middle there is this

"You can also follow a link from where you can seek help regarding the troubleshooting steps for your Android device : http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Email"

Clearly this is just a standard response sent out automatically to anyone with an e-mail setup query. They know I am using an iPhone on IOS7 so why useless stuff about Android!!!!

Has anyone yet managed to find a solution to this apparently intractable problem?

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: iPhone cannot send mail, but can receive!!

Go to solution

If there are any other SMTP servers listed on your phone try deleting them.

Try just entering the part before @btinternet.com as your user name.

0 Ratings
baxlobs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 28

Go to solution

Thanks for response.

There are no other mail servers.

I have tried using just my username without the @btinternet.com.

It spent about 3 minutes "verifying" and then spat out the same incorrect password/username error message.

Would it be worth trying again but first deleting the account, and then setting up again with the short username??

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 28

Go to solution

Always worth a try. Make sure you set the account up manually rather than letting a wizard configure it.

0 Ratings
baxlobs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 28

Go to solution

Further to my last message I thought, "as I have nothing better to do for the moment" I will just try deleting the account yet again and setting it up again.

This time I just entered the basic data and did nothing to put any detail into the outgoing mail server boxes - as it did not ask for any - and hit "Done"

Account was instantly set up, all my old mails and folders retrieved and I can now send from my iPhone. Smiley Happy

This is very weird, I did absolutley nothing different except leaving the outgoing mail server well alone, just let the iPhone settings take care of it.

The settings for the outgoing server look exactly as they did before when it did not work. All very frustrating, but at least now it seems to work.

0 Ratings
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 28

Go to solution

I have iPhone and it's all working. Here are my settings:

POP ACCOUNT INFORMATION:

Name: Full name

Email: name@btinternet.com

Description: Btinternet

INCOMING MAIL SERVER:

Host Name: mail.btinternet.com

Username: only the first part of my email without @btinternet.com

Password: abcdefg...

OUTGOING MAIL SERVER:

SMPT: mail.btinternet.com (this is my primary server)

Advance settings:

INCOMING SETTINGS:

Use SSL: off

Authentication: password

Delete from server: never

Server Port: 110

Hope this helps.

0 Ratings
baxlobs
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 28

Go to solution

Thanks for your input.

see my last post, I am now (I hope) sorted.

However I should have made it clear that my account is IMAP not POP.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 28

Go to solution

Glad you got it working. Strange that letting the wizard did the trick, its normally allowing the wizard that screws it up!!

0 Ratings
Gixx6r
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 28

Go to solution

Mine also would receive but not send.

I found out through trial and error the only way to get my Iphone emails to work properly was to delete the email account completely and start again too. That is the way forwards., except I now need to do the same on 2 more Iphones that my daughters use.

Not a great system really .....

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 28

Go to solution

@Gixx6r wrote:

Mine also would receive but not send.

I found out through trial and error the only way to get my Iphone emails to work properly was to delete the email account completely and start again too. That is the way forwards., except I now need to do the same on 2 more Iphones that my daughters use.

Not a great system really .....

Iphones? No they're not really.

0 Ratings