cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SimonC1
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

iPhone does not connect to BT mail via WiFi, but does via 4G

I have the identical problem to someone else who has posted recently. From what I can see, it appears their issue has been solved, but I can’t seen the solution in the thread. When I use my iPhone to try to connect to my BT mail account via the router, I receive a message saying: Cannot Get Mail: The mail server btinternet.com is not responding. However if I disconnect from WiFi and use 4G, I am able to connect. I know the problem is limited to BT mail because when I try to access my gmail account via WiFi it connects immediately without any problems
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Albert1953
Beginner
Message 2 of 11

Re: iPhone does not connect to BT mail via WiFi, but does via 4G

Have the same problem on my Android Phone, my Ipad and my laptop. Three different operating systems. Four different e-mail clients...it worked  before until we came away on holiday.

BT chat adviser no help. Have not changed the password or anything. Can do webmail.

BT what is happening?

0 Ratings
SimonC1
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

It is obviously a problem that arises when abroad. I am in Spain at present and I note that Paul, the person whose post I first saw, was in Portugal. It seems, regardless of the device, for some reason, we can’t connect to the BT mai server via WiFi . BT need to look into this
0 Ratings
Albert1953
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Dear All

And suddenly, on 18th April, tried connecting again and the whole shebang worked..folderscreatedand populated in Thunderbird and accesson my Android phone, my wife's iphone and on my Ipad.

No settings or password changed.

It had all worked in February, the same Wi Fi provider...BT what was the issue?

0 Ratings
johnlbailey
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

I’m having exactly the same problems here in Greece does anybody know how to solve the problem
0 Ratings
GranLb00
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Hi. In Spain today and having same issue. I am frustrated with BT for not responding or resolving the issue as it uses my data to then receive emails. Most of which are junk anyway!! Come on BT get it sorted out
0 Ratings
SeanF8
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

I have this problem in Spain today. Both on iPhone and iPad. Works when not on WiFi and on webmail so can work around it. Worked when last here 2 months ago. Don’t want to change any of my settings. Surely is a Bt issue? Btw gmail works fine on WiFi. Odd that Bt cannot comment and advise what to do on this thread. Any ideas anyone?

0 Ratings
SimonC1
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Yes, logically it must be a BT issue as, like you, there is no problem connecting via the router to gmail as well as the fact that it happens with multiple devices. I was out in Spain again over the summer and the problem connecting via WiFi to the BT server had still not been resolved. It also happened to me in more than location. It is frustrating to have to turn off WiFi to access emails and may prove expensive post Brexit if not resolved by BT.
0 Ratings
Deb5
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

I am having exact same problem in Brazil.  So frustrating and no solution from BT.  Thougth it was my Mac or iphone but I can access other email accounts while on wifi.  

0 Ratings
Vicks1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

I have the same problem in Portugal and have done for quite a while. 

I have 3 email addresses I use here , all BT. I get error messages whenever I try to download over the wifi. That's on my iphone, ipad and MacBookAir. It is beyond frustrating as I need them all for work purposes.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling but obviously it hasnt worked. It's pretty frustrating having to go out just to get my email and then only on the phone!  BTW icloud works fine and so does the Yahoo app, so it's a BT problem.

BT: you've recently messed up my email accounts by placing one of my sub addresses on BT Mail whilst the other 2 are on BT Yahoo. Please remember we pay vast sums to you each month.

0 Ratings