cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jethro
Contributor
Message 11 of 25

Re: iphone mail and PC Outlook to stopped working but webmail still ok

Same problem experienced multiple times  - on multiple devices and clients - both for myself and wife's BT Yahoo account- this time  no outgoing e-mails since 31/05/19 - apart from via webmail - 2nd line e-mail support not at all helpful this time - not responding to help requests then denying there is a problem - in fact they incorrectly cleared my complaint. As mentioned elsewhere this is specifically an SMTP server problem. 

As I have said in another post all we need BT to openly admit there is problem, outline the plan to fix it and provide a temporary workaround - simples!

0 Ratings
paulbetty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 25

Think it must be an issue with the phone/tablet polling for new mail. If I leave my phone connected to data/WiFi I can't access via Outlook on W10, but can still connect via phone/webmail, same error messages as you are reporting and it won't send or receive on the Primary account. I'm guessing my secondary mail address is used mainly for sites that may require me to enter a mail address that I don't necessarily want to get hold of me easily and hence infrequently polls from the phone.  This always works on Outlook 2016 on the PC!! If I switch off my phone by disconnecting WiFi and data, leave the PC for 20 minutes or so, Outlooks functions like it should.  I can only assume the BT mail server does not like multiple, regular logons and for what ever reason affects outlook but not Android mail apps?  Try it, see if it works for you.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 13 of 25

Same here, started today, both POP3 and SMPT died.  Three different devices so it's the servers that have gone down. not all my devices.  See my posts on this problem a few years ago.  The problem then was ONLY with BTYahoo.   At  that time I concluded it was the password verification process in the POP3 and SMTP servers hanging, and it could be "unhung" by  accessing email via yahoo mail rather than btinternet mail, giving my btinternet.com email address and password.   However, that doesn't seem to fix it now.

Peter M

0 Ratings
PeterMartinez
Contributor
Message 14 of 25

POP3 and SMTP back on line this morning.  I had NOT changed anything.

The BT help desk staff seem to have been given incorrect instructions. They insisted that if webmail was OK but POP3/SMTP was not, the problem MUST be at my end.  This in spite of me saying that none of the 3 devices would fetch emails via the email client app.  I was unable to get across that there is another link in the process between the webmail and the POP3/SMTP communication process.  I had checked the POP3 server using TELNET, which is very simple command-line tool.

Peter M

0 Ratings
ncpl
Beginner
Message 15 of 25

I tried the chat box support earlier today and the guy just fired the POP3 settings page at me and disconnected. Useless....I have rechecked all that already several times.

I then had nearly 60minutes on the phone being told it must be client side and I should talk to Microsoft !?!?

Unreal !!  Email sync stops on all my devices and they still try and tell me the issue is my side.

The guy could see my screen and still wouldn't accept it.

I cannot get any app to connect at all so am stuck with webmail only on my main account.  

What does it take to get this issue properly accepted and fixed ?  Clearly it is not just me experiencing this.

Thanks for the additional posts above.

0 Ratings
ncpl
Beginner
Message 16 of 25

@PeterMartinez
what did you learn when you pinged the POP3 server ?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 25

Have you tried the advice given by @gg30340  in message 3?

0 Ratings
ncpl
Beginner
Message 18 of 25

Yes...I have tried that.  I have no devices at all that can poll for access as none have completed the set up since I last changed p/w.

How many times should I try this routine ?  I can change p/w again and leave it overnight if this will allow any batch jobs to run and sync p/w to all parts of the SMTP/POP architecture.

What else can I try ?

0 Ratings
ncpl
Beginner
Message 19 of 25

PS....it seems that it is p/w sync related as even if I try and change p/w, when I get in to the system using the P/w and then add the excat same p/w as "current p/w" before creating new, the system says not correct. How can that be when I just got in to the system using that same p/w ??
Nuts !!!
0 Ratings
ncpl
Beginner
Message 20 of 25

PPS
I cannot now change p/w as system just says "Something went wrong...try later"
0 Ratings