cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 8

is anyone else experiencing problems with BTYAhoo Mail since the MS IE8/XP alert?

Go to solution
A few days ago, Microsoft announced a potentially very serious flaw in IE8 that would allow hackers in. They hope to issue a fix shortly but in the meantime suggested that users change settings. So I changed my settings per their advice - I didn't deploy the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) though because (a) I haven't a clue what that is or where to find it and (b) it looks too technical for me. Since changing my settings, I have problems accessing BTYAhoo. First it tries to redirect me then says my browser is preventing re-directions so I try again, get through to what is the menu screen (where your email accounts appear) then the screen sticks on mail 'Loading', says Done and nothing else happens. Tried again - clicked on the 'Mail' link near top right and bingo - I'm through. But it demans a new Java install and directions are poor. I click on try again and get Classic Mail. Given that others have been trying to get Classic MAil (see other threads) perhaps I should be happy but I'm not. Has anyone else changed their settings per the alert (below)? If so are you having problems accessing BTYahoo mail? http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Confirms-IE-Flaw-Releases-Workaround-317883.shtml What a start to 2013!!! I think MS are doing things behind the scenes to slow down XP/IE8 access and to annoy users to get them/us to update? Am I paranoid?!!
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: is anyone else experiencing problems with BTYAhoo Mail since the MS IE8/XP alert?

Go to solution

I think you have disabled Javascript and that is why you are having problems.

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 3 of 8

Re: is anyone else experiencing problems with BTYAhoo Mail since the MS IE8/XP alert?

Go to solution
Hello Ratty2012. Here's what I did (per MS): • Set Internet and local intranet security zone settings to "High" to block ActiveX Controls and Active Scripting in these zones • Configure Internet Explorer to prompt before running Active Scripting or to disable Active Scripting in the Internet and local intranet security zones • Deploy the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) Would the second step have disabled Javascript?
0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@Taffy078 wrote:
Hello Ratty2012. Here's what I did (per MS): • Set Internet and local intranet security zone settings to "High" to block ActiveX Controls and Active Scripting in these zones • Configure Internet Explorer to prompt before running Active Scripting or to disable Active Scripting in the Internet and local intranet security zones • Deploy the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) Would the second step have disabled Javascript?

Try setting the security zone settings to "Medium" and see if that helps, otherwise you will have to undo all that you have done to get Javascript re-enabled.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
You could always switch to a newer web browser, such as Firefox.
0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks Ratty - I've reset to medium and I can now access as before. I have to say that I was reluctant to do so as it was not what the mighty Microsoft had advised but hey-ho - I can use the internet now!

Hi Ectophile - I've been weighing up moving away from BTYahoo for many months now - it has too many flaws and seems to be no more steady than a Beta version. But this involves decisons on at least three fronts - (1) the work changing my log-in on about forty sites (2) finding a browser that supports Norton's Identity Vault and (3) then deciding whether to choose Firefox or one of the cloud group.

Big decisions and no obvious/similar answers/choices by/from users on forums such as this. Fingers crossed that I eventually decide!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

You can have any number of different browsers installed if you want.  I use IE for stuff where it works better, and Firefox for pretty much everything else.

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

thank you Ectophile. Much appreciated.

0 Ratings