cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

linking premium email to new bt broadband account

I have had a btopenworld.com email address for 20 years. I have changed internet provider over the years according to the market, but kept my email address by subscibing to bt premium mail.

I have recently  rejoined bt broadband and everything is working as it should.

However I contiue to be billed £7.50 every month forpremium mail.

I have been told I have to 'switch off' my premium mail by 'linking' my existing email address to a new one to be created in the newest broadband account. This cant be done automatically by BT ,I am told, for data protection reasons.

My concern is that my existing primary email address @btopenworld.com will become a secondary address and that emails I send will appear to originate from the new primary address rather than my existing one.

Secondly, should I leave bt in the future when their prices become uncompetitive, will I be able to export my existing email address or only the new primary address that I am forced to create by 'linking' email adresses.

Perhaps someone who has made the changes could reassure me that all will be well? Thanks for reading this!

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: linking premium email to new bt broadband account

Its not an email address you need to create, it is a BTID. Your BTID doesn't have to be a btinternet address, it can be a Gmail address if you prefer.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Thanks for your quick reply. I already have a BT id. It is asking me to create a new email address to be associated with  the broadband account. Only then as I understand it, can I link my existing Premium email account

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

BT no longer have "primary" email accounts. They are just email accounts.

Your new BT Broadband account must have at least one email account before you can associate any other email accounts to it.

You need to set up a new email account

See link

https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/account-set-up/how-do-i-create-and-activate-a-new...

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

I have no idea why BT have to make these things so bleeping complicated.

You may have to create a another btinternet email account for some bizarre reason but it won't affect sending and receiving of emails, it is just an account administrative thing. Primary and secondary have no meaning in the context of sending and receiving emails.

Edit: @gg30340  posted whilst typing

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am aware that bt instructs me to set up a new email account and then 'link' my existing account to it. 

My question is: will my email behave in exactly the same way and ignore the extra administative layer and secondly, will this have any repercussions when I move internet provider in the future but wat to keep my original email address?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

How your email operates is not affected by this, it is entirely independent.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

@mikeswift wrote:

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am aware that bt instructs me to set up a new email account and then 'link' my existing account to it. 

My question is: will my email behave in exactly the same way and ignore the extra administative layer and secondly, will this have any repercussions when I move internet provider in the future but wat to keep my original email address?

You are not linking your email account to the new email account that you are setting up. You are linking it to the broadband account.

Prior to being able to do that you have to set up a new email account on that broadband account so that it activates the email addon to that broadband account.

You will note that when you do that you will have used one of your eleven email addresses and when you associate your present email account it will show that two of your email addresses for that broadband account have been used.  

In future you will be able to keep all the email addresses that are associated with that BT Broadband account in the same way as you can with your present email account(s)

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

Thank you. I now understand and will go ahead following your advice!

Quite why a new email account is required to provide a pathway for an existing email account remains a mystery!

The politest way of putting this is to say that the BT it dept has its own special way of doing things!

I shall not be buying any BT shares anytime soon!!

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

For the benefit of others I thought I would chart my progress..

I have created a new email associated with my active broadband account successfully. I have followed the instructions on importing an existing email address ie my premium email address but get the following message:

You won't be able to import this email address on its own, as it's linked to someone else's BT ID. If you're not the owner of that BT ID, the user of the email address will need to ask the BT ID owner to gift it to them first. Find out how to do this

I've tried importing both the btinternet.com address andthe btopenworld.com address with the same result!-zilch!!

I'll keep you posted

0 Ratings